Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Johannes Verelst <jo...@verelst.net> on 2002/06/06 11:38:30 UTC

Licensing compatibility with MPL

Hi,

I am currently involved in an Open Source project called MMBase
(www.mmbase.org). This project is written in java and licensed under the
Mozilla Public License 1.0.

For this project, I needed a snippet of code from the tomcat source. To
be exact:
/home/cvspublic/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/util/RequestUtil.java,v
the method 'public static String parseCharacterEncoding(String
contentType)'

My question to you is if the Apache Software License 1.1 and the Mozilla
Public License 1.0 are compatible, and if so, what text I should include
in my sourcecode. I propose to add the following javadoc to the method
that uses the code:

    /**
     * Parse the contentType to find the character encoding
     * This code is based on code from the Jakarta Tomcat project
     * File:
/home/cvspublic/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/util/RequestUtil.java,v
     * Revision: 1.19
     * The code in this method is licensed by the Apache Software
License 1.1
     */

Since this is the first time that I use code of other Open Source
projects for code I write myself, I am puzzled whether or not this would
acceptable.

Please note that I am not subscribed to this mailinglist, please CC any
replies to me directly.

Kind regards,

Johannes Verelst
--