Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Brian Byrne <bb...@confluent.io> on 2019/10/22 19:42:17 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-543: Expand ConfigCommand's non-ZK functionality

Hello all,

I wrote a KIP about expanding the ConfigCommand's functionality when not
accessing ZooKeeper directly, i.e. when --bootstrap-servers is specified
instead of --zookeeper. This should bring the two into parity.

There's also a bit of bikeshedding about additional flags for shortening
entity specification on the command line. Please take a look:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/ww-3Bw

Thanks,
Brian

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-543: Expand ConfigCommand's non-ZK functionality

Posted by Brian Byrne <bb...@confluent.io>.
Hi Stanislav,

That's fair, I wouldn't imagine it being necessary to add --describe for
all broker-loggers, but was intended mainly for consistency with the other
entity types. One might find it useful to grep for certain entries, or it's
possible that the output is improved to only show non-default values (like
the others), but I'm fine either way.

Thanks for the input.

Brian

Posted by Stanislav Kozlovski <st...@confluent.io>.
Hey Brian,

--
Best,
Stanislav

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-543: Expand ConfigCommand's non-ZK functionality

Posted by Brian Byrne <bb...@confluent.io>.
Sure - updated.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the KIP!  This looks like a nice cleanup.  It will be good to be able to perform these operations without direct ZK access.