Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Carlo Giannelli <ca...@unibo.it> on 2008/10/14 12:55:59 UTC

Socket Timeout on Windows Server 2003

Dear All,

I've got a servlet connecting via socket to another external server.
When there are too many outgoing sockets,
the connect() method throws a timeout exception.

Tomcat version is 5.5.27, the OS is Windows Server 2003, and the JDK
version is 1.5.0_16.

I've already raised the operating system parameters, e.g.,
TcpNumConnections, but without any success.
Note that Server 2003 hasn't any limit in the concurrent TCP connection
attempts (a frequent issue on Windows XP/Vista).
Furthermore, I've raised even the length of the queue related to the
accept() method on the external server.

Is there any limit related to Tomcat itself?

Thanks a lot for your support,
Carlo

--
Carlo Giannelli, Ph.D.
Viale Risorgimento, 2

Re: Socket Timeout on Windows Server 2003

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Carlo Giannelli wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I've got a servlet connecting via socket to another external server.
> When there are too many outgoing sockets,
> the connect() method throws a timeout exception.
>
> Tomcat version is 5.5.27, the OS is Windows Server 2003, and the JDK
> version is 1.5.0_16.
>
> I've already raised the operating system parameters, e.g.,
> TcpNumConnections, but without any success.
> Note that Server 2003 hasn't any limit in the concurrent TCP connection
> attempts (a frequent issue on Windows XP/Vista).
> Furthermore, I've raised even the length of the queue related to the
> accept() method on the external server.
>
> Is there any limit related to Tomcat itself?

There are no Tomcat enforced limits on outgoing connections made by web
applications.

Mark