Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by himanshu chandola <hi...@yahoo.com> on 2009/09/12 05:48:25 UTC

changing map and reduce model

Hi Ppl,
What would Ive to do to make the following model work for the word count application:
The input is a text file . What I would like to do is that every map task gets a list of lines equal to number of lines/ number of map tasks allowed.

I think its better for the performance of the app, that a map task get a list of records rather than just one record ., so that you save time on starting jvm and the functional overheads.

It seems to me that given that we

 Morpheus: Do you believe in fate, Neo?
Neo: No.
Morpheus: Why Not?
Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.