Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Cristian Pascu <cc...@axway.com> on 2007/11/13 15:42:12 UTC

Running ServiceMix in an OSGi environment

Hi!

I would like to hear from you some advices on how start ServiceMix
embedded inside an OSGi environment (in my case an Eclipse
installation). I think I have at least two options:

1. Bundle servicemix with all it's dependencies inside an OSGi bundle.
Has anyone already done this?
2. Use a distribution of servicemix that is already packaged as OSGi
bundles. Is there something like this?

My use case would be to start an embedded JBI container, deploy
dynamically service units to already installed components (I am playing
now with Saxon component) and send messages to installed endpoints.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!

Cristian

Re: Running ServiceMix in an OSGi environment

Posted by Chris Custine <cc...@apache.org>.
On Nov 13, 2007 7:42 AM, Cristian Pascu <cc...@axway.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I would like to hear from you some advices on how start ServiceMix
> embedded inside an OSGi environment (in my case an Eclipse
> installation). I think I have at least two options:
>
> 1. Bundle servicemix with all it's dependencies inside an OSGi bundle.
> Has anyone already done this?

This *might* work, but your OSGi bundle will be quite large to say the
least.  If you want to try this, I suggest trying the maven-bundle plugin
from the Apache Felix project since it will evaluate the transitive
dependencies in the Maven pom.xml and add the jars to the bundle
automatically.

> 2. Use a distribution of servicemix that is already packaged as OSGi
> bundles. Is there something like this?

ServiceMix 4.0 will be just that, but I am not sure if it is in a state that
will be useful to you yet.

Chris