Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michael Satterwhite <mi...@weblore.com> on 2004/11/16 21:17:44 UTC

Subversion from Windows

I have svn working on my Linux box, installed on Debian Sid. I need to be able
to access it from a Windows laptop at times. As the Linux box is accessible
via ssh, I thought that svn+ssh would be the easiest access method. When I
try it, however:
 svn list svn+ssh://myserver/repos/project

I get the error message

 svn: The system cannot find the file specified

Well, 'duh, I think. Windows doesn't have an ssh client. I then thought, I've
got Putty, and putty myserver will start an ssh session. I then copied
putty.exe to \winnt\ssh.exe (effectively creating a command line ssh client).
I tested it by entering ssh myserver. It connected cleanly. I then retried
running svn with the svn+ssh protocol. Now I get a "Wrong port number" error.
Obviously putty can't serve as the ssh client for this.

How can I connect from Windows? If I need to do work server side, please refer
me to something to help me with the setup as I admit ignorance.

tia
---Michael

Re: Subversion from Windows

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Michael Satterwhite wrote:

>On Tuesday 16 November 2004 03:29 pm, you wrote:
>

>>Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>>

>>>Obviously putty can't serve as the ssh client for this.
>>>

>>Yes it can. Bout you have to tell Subversion to use plink.exe (not
>>putty.exe) for the ssh tunnel.
>>

>OK, but I'm a little confused. I don't see a "plink.exe" on my system any more
>than I do ssh. Obviously I could rename putty to plink, but I don't
>understand why this is different than renaming it ssh. I'm sure I'm missing
>something obvious, but I really am missing it.

plink.exe is part of the PuTTY toolset; see

    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

TO use plink as the tunnel agent, you can either set the SVN_SSH
environment variable, or define is as the ssh tunnel in the [tunnels]
section of %APPDATA%\Subversion\config.

-- Brane

Re: Subversion from Windows

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

RE: Subversion from Windows

Posted by Jim Geist <ji...@lifesim.com>.
Try using plink.exe. That's the Putty command line equivalent to ssh.

I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it's close enough to work.