Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by "B. Shadgar" <sh...@compsci.bristol.ac.uk> on 2002/06/19 18:28:44 UTC

Slide new version

Hi all,

I am a user of Slide package who is not professional like the Slide
developers and not only the user of Slide. For my project I need to
change the slide Source Code. What I am using at the moment is the Slide
nightly  on 13th  March 2002.
I was trying to install the Slide nightly again but I have noticed that
I can't find the slide.war file in the nightly version, while I have
found it already in the March version.  and this makes the difficulty to
install the nightly slide version. Indeed it seems the nightly version
is far superior than slide 1.0.16.

I am not such an expert to create the slide files from CVS or etc. May
I ask you let me know how can I install the latest slide version which
seems it is slide2.0 ( in changelog page).  I have installed tomcat
4.0.4 already.
your help is greatly appreciated.

Bita.

Re: Slide new version

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
B. Shadgar wrote:
>>If you have the cvs commandline client installed, use these commands to grab
>>the sources ("\" is a non-linebreak, which is only to make it survive the
>>email)
>

> What is the CVS commandline and where can I find it.  Sorry that it is stupid
> question.

"cvs" is a program for the unix command line interface. It is also
available for windows if you install the cygwin package (www.cygwin.com).

For general info, and info about alternative CVS clients for win32, see:
   http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html

If you're not familiar with all that, getting it set up right might take
some time.

The alternative would be to build the nightlies. The problem seems to be
that the nightly builds have been failing for some time now due to a
missing prereq (tomcat-coyote).

You *can* grab the nightly source and build yourself. You'll *need* to
build the nightlies, because they currently only contain the source.

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de

Re: Slide new version

Posted by "B. Shadgar" <sh...@compsci.bristol.ac.uk>.

> If you have the cvs commandline client installed, use these commands to grab
> the sources ("\" is a non-linebreak, which is only to make it survive the
> email)

What is the CVS commandline and where can I find it.  Sorry that it is stupid
question.

Thanks,
Bita

Re: Slide new version

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
Am 19.06.2002 18:28:44, schrieb "B. Shadgar" <sh...@compsci.bristol.ac.uk>:
>Hi all,
>
>I am a user of Slide package who is not professional like the Slide
>developers and not only the user of Slide. For my project I need to
>change the slide Source Code. What I am using at the moment is the Slide
>nightly  on 13th  March 2002.
>I was trying to install the Slide nightly again but I have noticed that
>I can't find the slide.war file in the nightly version, while I have
>found it already in the March version.  and this makes the difficulty to
>install the nightly slide version. Indeed it seems the nightly version
>is far superior than slide 1.0.16.

On the other hand, it isn't as stable, and the APIs are fragile.

>I am not such an expert to create the slide files from CVS or etc. May
>I ask you let me know how can I install the latest slide version which
>seems it is slide2.0 ( in changelog page).  I have installed tomcat
>4.0.4 already.
>your help is greatly appreciated.

I would recommend you to get the latest of the SLIDE_1_0 branch via CVS and
build it yourself. It includes the J2EE-Stores as well as many bugfixes.

If you have the cvs commandline client installed, use these commands to grab
the sources ("\" is a non-linebreak, which is only to make it survive the
email)

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic \
    login
[password is "anoncvs"]

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic \
    co -P -r SLIDE_1_0 -d jakarta-slide-1.0 jakarta-slide

I really hope we'd get Slide 1.1 out of the door soon, maybe I'll start
looking into it some more. More users testing the SLIDE_1_0 branch
would be great, anyway ;o).

-chris
 /=/ cmlenz at gmx.de