Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Muzza <st...@amt-sybex.com> on 2006/11/20 20:55:28 UTC

AMQ-1060

Hi,

I've raised AMQ-1060, which is a long standing bug I've had since upgrading
from AMQ 3.2.2 to AMQ 4.0.x.

Can someone take a look at the problem and suggest which areas of the code
to start looking at ? I've no problem supplying a fix, would just like a
kick start in the right direction.......

The problem reported is Live at 2 client sites and needs resolving asap so
any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.

Details of AMQ-1060 :

I'm unable to connect to an ActiveMQ queue with an MDB when the ActiveMQ
queue I'm connecting to has a queue depth.

This works in ActiveMQ 3.2.2, but doesn't in 4.0.1 or 4.0.2.

Environment :

AMQ 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 deployed standalone on a Windows 2003 server.

Basic (Hello World) MDB deployed within IBM Websphere 5.1 (Patch 11).

Intructions to recreate :

Start AMQ, load a message onto the MDBs Queue, start Websphere and MDB won't
connect to the ActiveMQ queue.
If there is any further information you require to assist in the resolution
of this problem, please let us know. We can provide details of the code or
the WAS/AMQ config.

Whilst stating this doesn't work for a Hello World MDB, this is for
simplicity and ease of testing this issue, in reality we are using the MDB
and AMQ as part of a full blown integration solution at 2 major Utility
companies and seriously need some assistance with this. Testing onsite of
the solution at each of these companies has revealed this issue, this is
therefore preventing the move of the solution into production.

We cannot revert to the use of the version 3.2.2 of AMQ as there are some
memory limitations with this version (that have been addressed in 4.x) that
mean that it will not cope with the volumes of messages that are required to
be handled.

Re: AMQ-1060

Posted by Muzza <st...@amt-sybex.com>.
Please find attached screenshots of JConsole with the scenario not working
(+ve Queue Depth) and it working (0 Queue Depth).

I've also attached the activemq.log file set at Debug level.

http://www.nabble.com/file/4267/AMQ-1060.zip AMQ-1060.zip

I've carried out further testing and the bug appeared in the very first
release of 4.0M4 and still exists in 4.1.

I hope this provides some clues and that you can help me progress this
issue.

Thanks,
Steve

Re: AMQ-1060 (Update please)

Posted by Muzza <st...@amt-sybex.com>.
Hi,

I've not had an update on this in 3 weeks, can anyone help ?

Unfortunately we're having to drop ActiveMQ from future developments until
this bug is resolved so if anyone can help that'd be of great assistance.

This was working in 3.2.2 but no longer works in the very first version of
4.0.x. Is there anything specific to Websphere connections that changed that
anyone can think of ?

Thanks,
Steve.

Re: AMQ-1060

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Does looking at the JMX stats provide any clues.  It should show the
queue depths and show the subscribers that messages are being
delivered to.

On 11/21/06, Muzza <st...@amt-sybex.com> wrote:

> Will do, but there's no code to speak of, it's just an MDB in an IBM Specific
> ear file that says "Hello World" if the onMessage method is activated.
>
> Websphere itself handles the communication between the MDB and ActiveMQ
> through the MessageListenerService and Generic JMS Providers.
>
> I'll try and get a log file to you and see if you can see anything.
>
> Anyone else out there used Websphere ? Or know what class files in the code
> I could begin looking at for this problem ?
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: AMQ-1060

Re: AMQ-1060

Posted by Adrian Co <ac...@exist.com>.
Hi,

Sorry, but I don't have Websphere installed. You could just as well post
any code you created, so maybe someone who have done Websphere 5.1 can
scan through it and maybe see something. :)

Re: AMQ-1060

Re: AMQ-1060

Posted by Adrian Co <ac...@exist.com>.