Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de> on 2021/12/01 10:35:03 UTC

RE: Apache OpenOffice available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

I do not work for MS, but I am a committer of the ASF and focus on AOO and not on MS shops.

> Are you
> against publishing on the shop?

no

> Or is the issue more that you weren't
> included in the process?

Yes, that's what I mean - more specifically, that I don't understand why there hasn't been a thorough public discussion on such an issue.

(Again, I may be overlooking something, but where is this discussion?)

Please understand that I am not technically against AOO now being available in the MS store, but I am criticising the fact that we do not communicate enough.

Meritocracy is one thing, but in projects as big as ours, there are things that should not just be done, but should be discussed in advance with everyone involved - a bit of democracy within meritocracy.

(I also don't think that such criticism is unreasonable, because the mere formality that we also have places where "votes" are obligatory shows that there is already democracy within the meritocracy.)

Jörg

Re: Apache OpenOffice available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
On 01.12.21 11:35, Jörg Schmidt wrote:

> [...]
Great!
>> Or is the issue more that you weren't
>> included in the process?
> Yes, that's what I mean - more specifically, that I don't understand why there hasn't been a thorough public discussion on such an issue.
>
> (Again, I may be overlooking something, but where is this discussion?)

Okay, all are in favor for publishing Apache OpenOffice on Microsoft
Shop. Everyone has expressed a positive attitude. No one said he had any
issues with it.

So I do not see any worth in that if we had done a discussion. We do not
need to take any action to fix anything.

> Please understand that I am not technically against AOO now being available in the MS store, but I am criticising the fact that we do not communicate enough.
>
> Meritocracy is one thing, but in projects as big as ours, there are things that should not just be done, but should be discussed in advance with everyone involved - a bit of democracy within meritocracy.
>
> (I also don't think that such criticism is unreasonable, because the mere formality that we also have places where "votes" are obligatory shows that there is already democracy within the meritocracy.)

What is with the formal release vote? For me that is total sufficient.
And we documented all voices [1]. I am not able to follow what you want.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.11

So I finalize:

You have no objections on the Release of Apache OpenOffice on Microsoft
store. And we have the requested democratic Vote. Where everyone can
vote on and is acknowledged.

For me all possible concerns and demands are fulfilled.

--
This is the Way! http://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html