Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Milind Parikh <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2005/12/31 10:41:17 UTC

Apache Forrest Documentation

I am sold on Forrest !! I will be writing about Apache Forrest on
www.milindparikh.com. milindparikh.com is powered through Apache Forrest. I
would like to have five-six chapters on Forrest. This is the proposed
format...

1. 30 second pitch on Forrest (want this to be a slide show... just cannot
get s5slides to work).
2. One hour Teach A Man To Fish (TAMTF) series on Forrest
3. One Day Deep Immersion (ODDI) series on Forrest
4. Internationalization with Forrest
5. Plugin Development with Forrest

I should be done with these chapters by January 15th. Any suggestions are
welcome !

Please feel free to browse through the first chapter of Maven 1.x.x. More
chapters on Maven soon. Maven2 is in a real physical book form coming to a
bookstore near you.

Re: Apache Forrest Documentation

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Milind Parikh wrote:
> My intent is NOT to start a flame war. I am just stating my opinion in
> this post.
>
> I am not really expecting anything (except some answers to the
> occasional 'dufus' questions). I am quite willing to remove the
> copyright thing on the Forrest documentation if that helps anyone.

If you don't need to restrict reproduction then I would recomend using a
creative commons license. Better still (for us) contribute the docs to
the project. In both cases you will retain the original copyrights.

We can expand on this part of the discussion when you have written
stuff. We don't want to distract you right now.

> Yet.... Apache Forrest is relatively unknown.

This is partly because we are a small community and are deliberately
avoiding publicity because we are still a 0.8-dev product and can't
support too many users and feature requests. What we need are contributors.

Of course, that includes doc contributors ;-)

> Apache Forrest  has given a lot to me in the last month (even if I just
> lurked in the mailing lists and the documentation). I would like to give
> something back.

Glad you found the tool useful, we look forward to reading your docs.

Ross

Re: Apache Forrest Documentation

Posted by Milind Parikh <mi...@hotmail.com>.
My intent is NOT to start a flame war. I am just stating my opinion in this
post.

I am not really expecting anything (except some answers to the occasional
'dufus' questions). I am quite willing to remove the copyright thing on the
Forrest documentation if that helps anyone.

I have gone through the forrest documentation. It is quite good from a
technical standpoint. Additionaly the discussions on the mailing list (if
you can find the pointer to mailing lists) are quite informative.

Because of the (hidden?) power of Forrest, it should be a no brainer for
most department and company websites. It's RAD feature (functioning in a
webapp mode) is second to none. It's PDF file generating capabilties should
impress anyone who uses it. It is also a top level apache project.

Yet.... Apache Forrest is relatively unknown. I believe that the part of the
reason is in creating documentation that will effectively market Apache
Forrest. As a developer, I hate to think that one needs effective marketing
material to market a superb product. As a manager, I know that every product
needs a little edge.

Apache Forrest  has given a lot to me in the last month (even if I just
lurked in the mailing lists and the documentation). I would like to give
something back.

- Milind

is not well known.  Additionally this needs to be pitched (and styled)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Milind Parikh wrote:
> I am sold on Forrest !! I will be writing about Apache Forrest on
> www.milindparikh.com. milindparikh.com is powered through Apache
> Forrest.

Cool - thanks.

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@apache.org>.
Helena Edelson wrote:
> If I work on this alone, it could be epic, however I am looking into it
> this month. If anyone has any experience, suggestions, please do pass
> insights to the list. Might help to save some time.

I will give you a hand on this. I have got a little project and involves
i18n.

Cheers,
cheche

Re: Apache Forrest Documentation

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Helena Edelson wrote:
> Yes, plan is to write a howto on Internationalization. Noticed today all
> the basic Common_Messages in $FORREST_HOME.../skins/common after
> creating them from scratch myself last week, not realizing these handy
> templates existed as a base to work off of. It is rather easy to get
> started on once you realize the infrastructure work is basically done,
> and all the information about it swimming around is already implemented
> either in Cocoon or F7. We need only configure and add to it.

Great news, congratulations on getting back to the surface of that
particularly deep pool.

> I do think we need a translation engine plugin to, in a sense, skin the
> output text into the appropriate languages.
> If I work on this alone, it could be epic, however I am looking into it
> this month. If anyone has any experience, suggestions, please do pass
> insights to the list. Might help to save some time.

As I have hinted at previously, I think this is actualy much simpler
than it may appear (at least if you use 0.8-dev, it is much harder in
0.7). However, this is a dev topic. If you post on the dev list I will
stop hinting and start brainstorming with you. We try not to discuss dev
topics here in order to keep the focus on user support.

Ross

Re: Apache Forrest Documentation

Posted by Helena Edelson <he...@greenjaguar.com>.
Yes, plan is to write a howto on Internationalization. Noticed today all
the basic Common_Messages in $FORREST_HOME.../skins/common after
creating them from scratch myself last week, not realizing these handy
templates existed as a base to work off of. It is rather easy to get
started on once you realize the infrastructure work is basically done,
and all the information about it swimming around is already implemented
either in Cocoon or F7. We need only configure and add to it.

I do think we need a translation engine plugin to, in a sense, skin the
output text into the appropriate languages.
If I work on this alone, it could be epic, however I am looking into it
this month. If anyone has any experience, suggestions, please do pass
insights to the list. Might help to save some time.

Helena

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El sáb, 31-12-2005 a las 09:41 +0000, Milind Parikh escribió:
> I am sold on Forrest !! I will be writing about Apache Forrest on
> www.milindparikh.com. milindparikh.com is powered through Apache Forrest. I
> would like to have five-six chapters on Forrest.

Nice. :)

> This is the proposed
> format...

My problem is and I guess I am not alone, that I do not understand the
described formats.

> 1. 30 second pitch on Forrest (want this to be a slide show... just cannot
> get s5slides to work).
> 2. One hour Teach A Man To Fish (TAMTF) series on Forrest
> 3. One Day Deep Immersion (ODDI) series on Forrest

What do you want to describe there? No clue what TAMTF, ODDI, ... will
show, so really hard to comment on this.

> 4. Internationalization with Forrest

Ross already pointed to Helena, she is working on internalization for
her use case and I guess she may already helped with her recent
mails. ;-)

> 5. Plugin Development with Forrest

like David already said, we prefer to have the documentation on our
website, but how about sending patches to the existing documentation.

> I should be done with these chapters by January 15th. Any suggestions are
> welcome !

I would suggest to you, to give the forrest user your own point of view.
Like a how I did I wrote this webpage with forrest. I guess that is a
nice addition to the existing forrest documentation.

...and surely I prefer that you can provide patches to the official
documentation, so the whole project can use them under the same licenses
like the rest of forrest.

> Please feel free to browse through the first chapter of Maven 1.x.x. More
> chapters on Maven soon. Maven2 is in a real physical book form coming to a
> bookstore near you.

Cool.

All the best to this nice online books.

salu2