Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Vijay Balakrishnan <bv...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/18 00:32:19 UTC

How do I use Solr for Search only instead of SQL Server while using RDBMS for write?

Hi,
We use SQL Server currently.We are thinking about using technologies like
Solr to speed up our search into the RDBMS-hopefully by flattening the
RDBMS data into a denormalized data structure and indexed for the various
queries performed by our users.This causes a mismatch between read-only
search and subsequent write operation the user might perform on the
returned data-an architectural smell.Right now, the search screen has a
whole bunch of form fields to search to return the data from the RDBMS in a
data grid below the search form.Any advise on how to handle this use case
with Solr + Storm as an example (near real time of 30 mins)? Heard there is
a plugin for Solr use with RDBMS's(DIH) ? Are they useful for this use
case? My earlier work place had lots of issues with SQL server with regards
to space. Even if we return from the denormalized dataSource through Solr,
we need to provide a way for users to do Update data in the RDBMS using
fields or a REST service ?

The RDBMS data has to be denormalized to avoid making 14+ queries to SQL
server.Pushing this data to a flat structure/dataSource for Solr to then
use was what I was thinking about-not exactly real time and that is fine
for our use case. Are there any AWS instances that can get me started on
Solr + Storm ?

TIA,
Vijay