Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marcio Humpris <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/16 16:58:49 UTC

one word spam (continued)

Hi everyone

If I use digest mode how do I reply to a specific mail?

about one word spam
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spamassassin-users/201308.mbox/browser

here is the sample http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=0D7tfsjf

Can you help with some regex pls?

Tks

Re: one word spam (continued)

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 10/16/2013 04:58 PM, Marcio Humpris wrote:

> about one word spam
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spamassassin-users/201308.mbox/browser
>
> here is the sample http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=0D7tfsjf
>
> Can you help with some regex pls?

This has two words :) and no SA header / spam report so we have little
to work with

Nice to see that Comtouch (X-CTCH header:  Spam="Unknown"  didn't detect
it either :)

Re: one word spam (continued)

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 16 Oct 2013, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-10-16 at 11:47 -0400, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>
>> I'm not quite sure what you were intending to match.
>>
> On more mature reflection, neither am I! I should have said:
>
> /^\s{0,80}\S{0,20}\s{0,80}$/

...which matches /^$/, or any message having a blank line.

Body lines are space-collapsed, so how about this:

   body  __SINGLE_WORD  /^\s?\S{1,20}\s?$/

You'd probably also want to meta it with __BODY_TEXT_LINE to avoid hitting
on a long message that has a single-word line somewhere within it (like
this message, for example).

You also have to allow for the subject, which is included in body rules. I
assume you don't want a single-word-body rule to fire on a multi-word
message body having a single-word subject.

20 might be a bit conservative, too. :)

Giving:

   body   __SINGLE_WORD_LINE  /^\s?\S{1,40}\s?$/
   tflags __SINGLE_WORD_LINE  multiple maxhits=2
   header __SINGLE_WORD_SUBJ  Subject =~ /^\s*\S{1,40}\s*$/
   meta   SINGLE_WORD_BODY    __BODY_TEXT_LINE < 3 && (__SINGLE_WORD_LINE = 2 || (__SINGLE_WORD_LINE > 0 && !__SINGLE_WORD_SUBJ))

(__BODY_TEXT_LINE counts a nonempty subject because the subject is
included in body text.)

Untested, of course.

   Where We Want You To Go Today 09/13/07: Microsoft patents in-OS
   adware architecture that incorporates monitoring and analysis of
   user actions and interrupting the user to display apparently
   relevant advertisements (U.S. Patent #20070214042)
  503 days since the first successful private support mission to ISS (SpaceX)

Re: one word spam (continued)

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Wed, 2013-10-16 at 11:47 -0400, Bowie Bailey wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what you were intending to match.

On more mature reflection, neither am I! I should have said:

/^\s{0,80}\S{0,20}\s{0,80}$/

which should catch messages of 20 characters or less. I was in a hurry
(quite a bit of C to write) and somewhat thrown by the OP saying he
wanted to catch single word messages but showed us a two word example.

Martin

Re: one word spam (continued)

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.
On 10/16/2013 11:33 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-10-16 at 11:58 -0300, Marcio Humpris wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> If I use digest mode how do I reply to a specific mail?

>> about one word spam
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spamassassin-users/201308.mbox/browser
>>
>> here is the sample http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=0D7tfsjf
>>
>> Can you help with some regex pls?
>>
> Not one work is it?
>
> However, this catches it:   /\s{0,80}\S{1,20}\s{0,80}/
>
> Be aware that messages like your example are quite common between
> friends, so I personally would be wary of using this type of regex
> outside a meta-rule.

You do realize that this regex is equivelent to /\S/.  If it is a body
rule, it will match on every email that has any kind of text in either
the subject or the body.

I'm not quite sure what you were intending to match.

--
Bowie

Re: Exchange 2013 and rejection of invalid RCPTs (was Re: one word spam (continued))

Posted by Jason Haar <Ja...@trimble.com>.
On 17/10/13 09:03, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> We've done similar real time checks using Sendmail but seen this
> actually bring down Exchange Servers (more like bringing  it to its
> knees from a resource perspective than actually crashing it) from the
> LDAP queries associated with these type of issues.  So I agree the
> instantaneous nature is nice but we switch to the store because the
> volume we could handle with Sendmail was so much higher than what was
> effectively halting Exchange Servers.

We saw the same thing, so we have hourly cronjobs dumping the email
addresses out of Active Directory and push the addresses to the edge
Unix mail relays. We find Active Directory LDAP too slow and too
unreliable to rely on for a realtime service. Internally, even our
Windows IT staff do something similar: batch jobs to dump data out via
LDAP so that their actual websites and/or applications can reference
LDAP data without having to talk to what Microsoft thinks passes for an
LDAP server (eg try to figure out all the groups a user is a member of,
in a multi-forest AD spread across 5 continents - and do it in <1sec  -
go on, I dare ya ;-)

</rant ;-)>

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +1 408 481 8171

Re: Exchange 2013 and rejection of invalid RCPTs (was Re: one word spam (continued))

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 10/16/2013 3:46 PM, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:41:04 -0400
> "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com> wrote:
>
>> So in the beginning for our issue, our firm implemented something
>> similar and it's documented at http://www.pccc.com/downloads/ldap/
>> thanks primarily to Brian Landers <br...@packetslave.com>  and his
>> work.  This is a nice solution that uses LDAP and queries it to build
>> an access list with sendmail.
> We use MIMEDefang and we make real-time LDAP calls in filter_recipient.
> So when a modification to Active Directory is made, it's instant... no
> need to wait for the data to be updated on the Sendmail server.
>
> The downside is that you can get a *lot* of LDAP traffic if there's
> a dictionary attack.

We've done similar real time checks using Sendmail but seen this
actually bring down Exchange Servers (more like bringing  it to its
knees from a resource perspective than actually crashing it) from the
LDAP queries associated with these type of issues.  So I agree the
instantaneous nature is nice but we switch to the store because the
volume we could handle with Sendmail was so much higher than what was
effectively halting Exchange Servers.

This was back in 2007 and revolved around small companies with one
server so it was bringing down other operations as well.  We wrote about
it a bit on this page
https://raptor.pccc.com/raptor.cgim?template=raptorFAST (warning
commercial site not affiliated with project though it's where I put a
lot of stuff I'm working on.  I'll open a ticket to add as much as we
can.  Anyway, please ignore if you aren't interested in my day job).

Regards,
KAM

Re: Exchange 2013 and rejection of invalid RCPTs (was Re: one word spam (continued))

Posted by "David F. Skoll" <df...@roaringpenguin.com>.
On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:41:04 -0400
"Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com> wrote:

> So in the beginning for our issue, our firm implemented something
> similar and it's documented at http://www.pccc.com/downloads/ldap/
> thanks primarily to Brian Landers <br...@packetslave.com>  and his
> work.  This is a nice solution that uses LDAP and queries it to build
> an access list with sendmail.

We use MIMEDefang and we make real-time LDAP calls in filter_recipient.
So when a modification to Active Directory is made, it's instant... no
need to wait for the data to be updated on the Sendmail server.

The downside is that you can get a *lot* of LDAP traffic if there's
a dictionary attack.

Regards,

David.

Re: Exchange 2013 and rejection of invalid RCPTs (was Re: one word spam (continued))

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 10/16/2013 2:27 PM, David F. Skoll wrote:
> I think this is a deliberate strategy on the part of Microsoft. I
> think they're making Exchange so complicated and such a PITA that
> people give up and go to the cloud, ideally to Office 365. For many
> small companies, going to the cloud probably makes lots of sense, as
> long as they don't mind paying extra and don't mind the NSA having
> access to their email. :) Regards, David.

That is giant tin-hat foil worthy! LOL.  I also do not know why
Microsoft makes it so difficult but it really started to become
difficult a while ago.  Really long before their cloud initiative.

So in the beginning for our issue, our firm implemented something
similar and it's documented at http://www.pccc.com/downloads/ldap/
thanks primarily to Brian Landers <br...@packetslave.com>  and his
work.  This is a nice solution that uses LDAP and queries it to build an
access list with sendmail.

However, for our proprietary stuff, we had turned that concept on it's
head and used a program to push the data to the server (we call it
Forward and Store Technology) and support sendmail and exchange. I'll
see if I can share more about that.

Regards,
KAM

Re: Exchange 2013 and rejection of invalid RCPTs (was Re: one word spam (continued))

Posted by Joe Acquisto-j4 <jo...@j4computers.com>.
>. . . .as long as they don't mind
>paying extra and don't mind the NSA having access to their email. :)
>
>Regards,
>
>David.

Of course you mean "easier access"  . . . ?

joe a.

Re: Exchange 2013 and rejection of invalid RCPTs (was Re: one word spam (continued))

Posted by "David F. Skoll" <df...@roaringpenguin.com>.
On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:52:08 -0700
Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net> wrote:

> Just be aware that Microsoft's "standard" is to use LDAP queries to
> the AD.

True, and we support that.  But not everyone wants to open up their LDAP
to the outside world, even to a few outside IPs.

Furthermore, if you use Office 365 (Microsoft's hosted Exchange
product) you're out of luck.  I don't believe they give you LDAP
access, at least not unless you're a very large company.

Posted by "David F. Skoll" <df...@roaringpenguin.com>.
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 13:30:13 -0800
Kevin Miller <Ke...@ci.juneau.ak.us> wrote:

> I guess catting the output of the ldap
> query onto the access table and hash it once a night would be just as
> easy.  I'll give that test.

Another option, since you're running Sendmail, is to use a milter such
as MIMEDefang and do a real-time LDAP lookup for each RCPT command.
If the overhead is not too high, this is a nice solution because
any changes to Active Directory are immediately seen by Sendmail.

Regards,

David.

RE: Exchange 2013 and rejection of invalid RCPTs (was Re: one word spam (continued))

Posted by Kevin Miller <Ke...@ci.juneau.ak.us>.
At the moment I'm using spf-sav talking to Exchange 2007.  I mentioned virtualuser because that's what Ted said he was using to good affect.  I am using the access table as well, mostly to reject mail from specific places.  I guess catting the output of the ldap query onto the access table and hash it once a night would be just as easy.  I'll give that test.

Best...

 ...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Network/email Administrator, CBJ MIS Dept.

On 7/22/2014 3:54 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
> Resurrecting an old thread here.  We're finally migrating to Exchange 2013, and I have a script that will extract email addresses from ldap, but when looking at the virtualuser table it seems that it's used to map one address to another.  The script puts out addresses in the following format:
>    Some_User@ci.juneau.ak.us OK
>    suser@jnuairport.com OK
>    some_user@skijuneau.com OK
>
> Easy enough to strip the "OK" out in a bash scritp to create the virtualuser table, but what does the virtualuser table actually look like?  The preamble in the file in /etc/mail shows:

Why are you using virtusertable and not the access table?

regards,
KAM

Re: Exchange 2013 and rejection of invalid RCPTs (was Re: one word spam (continued))

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.

Posted by Kevin Miller <Ke...@ci.juneau.ak.us>.
Resurrecting an old thread here.  We're finally migrating to Exchange 2013, and I have a script that will extract email addresses from ldap, but when looking at the virtualuser table it seems that it's used to map one address to another.  The script puts out addresses in the following format:
  Some_User@ci.juneau.ak.us OK
  suser@jnuairport.com OK
  some_user@skijuneau.com OK

Easy enough to strip the "OK" out in a bash scritp to create the virtualuser table, but what does the virtualuser table actually look like?  The preamble in the file in /etc/mail shows:

# Examples:
#
#info@foo.com           foo-info
#info@bar.com           bar-info
#joe@bar.com            error:nouser No such user here
#jax@bar.com            error:D.S.N:unavailable Address invalid
#@baz.org               jane@example.net

That's clear enough, but I'm not mapping one address to another - I'm just wanting to validate the entries that are in there.  Do I just create a single column file with the output from my ldap query script and hash it?  And after that sendmail will reject anything not in there?  Do I have to tweak sendmail.mc beyond
  FEATURE(`virtusertable', `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
to achieve the desired behavior of rejecting unknown inbound emails?

I'm unclear on what "and combine them with a fixed file" means in Ted's comments below.  Pearls of wisdom greatly appreciated...

 ...Kevin
Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.

Posted by "David F. Skoll" <df...@roaringpenguin.com>.

Re: one word spam (continued)

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 10/16/2013 07:21 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
> So if I'm reading this right, milters such as smf-sav or milter-ahead will no longer be of any use?

yep...  One will have to be creative, start mantaining local rcpt list
copies, LDAP exports, etc - lottsa fun for all parties.

This also applies to Postfix's recipient address verification.

RE: one word spam (continued)

Re: one word spam (continued)

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.

Re: one word spam (continued)

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.
On 10/16/2013 9:42 AM, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2013 09:15:07 -0700
> "Neil Schwartzman" <ne...@cauce.org> wrote:
>
>> List verification. Many receiving sites will block after X bounces,
>> clean up your

you mean "their" list

> list from 550s, and spam the real thing from another
>> botted IP.
>
> <rant>
> And you know who we can thank [sic] for this mechanism of list verification?
>
> Microsoft, that's who.
>
> For versions of Microsoft Exchange prior to 2013, you need to jump through
> ridiculous hoops to configure it so that invalid RCPT commands are rejected.
> By default, Exchange accepts any old RCPT command and then either rejects
> after DATA or (if a RCPT

you mean if sender was valid, right

> was valid) is forced to generate a delivery failure
> notification.
>
> For Exchange 2013, the ridiculous hoops no longer work and I don't
> believe it is even possible to configure Exchange 2013 to reject
> invalid RCPTs without truly grotesque hacks.

Yeah I had forgotten about that.

I think what's going on here is that Microsoft has been positioning
Exchange for use as a large company platform for some time - the last
version of SBS contained Exchange 2010 and that was the last way that
a smaller company could afford an Exchange server.  Check out the
prices on Exchange 2012 and you will see what I mean, plus there's
no easy way that was provided migrate from Exchange 2010 to Exchange
2012.  Their hope is that smaller customers will go to the cloud.

To this end they have had an eye on the Exchange server being just a
single cog in a large network.  That's why they make you go to an
additional server (or appliance) for spam and antivirus filtering, and
they don't provide that on Exchange.

We never sell an Exchange server installation without specing some
sort of spam prefiltering like a Sophos box or Cisco ASA or something
like that in front of it, and all of those devices have active directory
hooks that query the DC for the usernames and -don't- accept just any
old bogus RCPTs.

> Thank you, Microsoft, for making the Internet a better place.
> </rant>

Naw, it's much more neglect and forgetting where they came from.

There was a time that people replaced old post.office and other hacky
malservers with exchange because exchange was inexpensive, simple, and
easy for just any monkey to configure.

There was also a time people replaced old Novell Netware servers and
other hacky fileservers with WIndows NT because NT was inexpensive,
simple, and easy for any monkey to configure.

But those days are gone and those products have been replaced by very
expensive, very complicated products that even people who are
professionals have a hard time configuring.

And to be perfectly honest about it I can say exactly the same thing
about the Linux distros who are also headed full speed away from
simplicity and ease and into complexity and difficulty.

I can't boot any current linux distro on an older P4 with 4GB of
ram and have it run any faster than a slug would travel.  And there's
a LOT of older 2003 servers out there running on older HP Proliant
G4 and G3 servers or Dell 2650 servers that are 32 bit, running
Exchange 2003, but are rock-solid and have been for years.  There's an
opportunity there but nobody in the FOSS community wants to service it.
  Instead the Linux people think they can go head-to-head with Microsoft
on brand new $4,000 server hardware.

Ted

Re: one word spam (continued)

Posted by "David F. Skoll" <df...@roaringpenguin.com>.
On 16 Oct 2013 09:15:07 -0700

Re: one word spam (continued)

Posted by Neil Schwartzman <ne...@cauce.org>.
List verification. Many receiving sites will block after X bounces, clean up your list from 550s, and spam the real thing from another botted IP.

Neil Schwartzman
Executive Director
Coalition Against unsolicited Commercial Email

Tel :(303) 800-6345
Mob: (415) 361-0069
@cauce

Re: one word spam (continued)