Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Dennis Kieselhorst <de...@apache.org> on 2018/11/25 09:53:15 UTC

New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

Hi,

please note that there are new Maven coordinates for the Jakarta EE specs: https://wiki.eclipse.org/New_Maven_Coordinates

In my view we should change the dependencies for our 3.3.0 release. I already did it for JAX-RS.

Cheers
Dennis

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
I guess jakarta will "relocate" ([1]) the jars so frameworks will start
getting warnings and fix it so sounds like a move forward anyway.

Side note: we got the same issue with geronimo spec jars for years and it
never had been a real issue in practise so not a big deal IMHO.

[1] https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-relocation.html

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Dennis Kieselhorst <ma...@dekies.de>.

Posted by Andrei Ivanov <an...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 1:59 PM Dennis Kieselhorst <ma...@dekies.de> wrote:

> > It would be great to get CXF out soon enough, since more and more
> projects switch
> > to Java 11. From practical standpoint, releasing CXF 3.3.0 with JAXB
> deps would
> > make a lot of sense (in my opinion), since every other project around
> did exactly
> > that. However, we've already started moving to Jakarta EE artifacts.
> Should it be
> > reverted (to "old" ones)? Or should we wait for Jakarta EE to publish
> others?
> > Releasing CXF with the mix of both is not looking good I think. Thoughts?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >     Andriy Redko
> >
> > COh> I'm a bit concerned that we we delay indefinitely, when we need to
> get a
> > COh> release out that supports Java 11. Perhaps CXF 3.3.0 should just
> contain
> > COh> the JAXB upgrade and let CXF 3.4.0 pick up all of the newer
> dependencies?
> >
> Let's focus on JAX-WS and JAX-RS (along with JAXB) for 3.3.0 as those
> are the main implementations that we are offering. Everything else can
> be done for 3.4.0.
>
> I also agree that we should release soon (maybe next week?) and avoid
> another delay.
>
> Regards
> Dennis

For me, as a CXF user, the easiest way would be to get the old artifacts,
as I expect other frameworks
that I already have in the project would still use the existing Maven
coordinates and then I will have a mix of old and new coordinates until all
of them upgrade.

Regards,
Andrei

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
I've created a jakarta branch a long time ago.
Should all be JakartaEE8 level. But might miss some specs still - it's work in progress.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/branches/jakarta/

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Dennis Kieselhorst <de...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrey Redko <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dennis,

Posted by Dennis Kieselhorst <ma...@dekies.de>.

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:59 AM Dennis Kieselhorst <ma...@dekies.de> wrote:

> Let's focus on JAX-WS and JAX-RS (along with JAXB) for 3.3.0 as those
> are the main implementations that we are offering. Everything else can
> be done for 3.4.0.

+1, assuming the JAX-WS upgrade is seamless. JAX-RS is already done right?
Then let's use a single version of JAXB for both JDK8 + 11.

> I also agree that we should release soon (maybe next week?) and avoid
> another delay.

Yep let's tentatively target a vote at the end of next week?

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

Posted by Dennis Kieselhorst <ma...@dekies.de>.

Posted by Andriy Redko <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

Posted by Dennis Kieselhorst <ma...@dekies.de>.

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Can you update JAX-WS + SAAJ when the JAXB switch is done and working? Do

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

Posted by Dennis Kieselhorst <de...@apache.org>.
Hi,

please note that not all dependencies are available on central yet but only in a staging repo. JAXB and JAX-WS dependencies are planned to be release in December. This page provides an overview: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_GlassFish_5.1_Components_Release_Tracker

Regards
Dennis