Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Arunachalam Parthasarathy <ar...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/28 18:36:02 UTC

OSGi and SCA

hello all,

can u please direct me to find what is the difference between OSGI and SCA
(i read in a blog tht, SCA is younger specification of OSGI)

can i know, how can i relate the bundle management , life cycle management
of OSGi in SCA?

with tuscany SCA (SCA Native runtime), can we dynamically add services?

please reply me regarding above

thanks,
Arunachalam

Re: OSGi and SCA

Posted by Graham Charters <gc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Arunachalam,

Tuscany has investigated a number of relationships between SCA and
OSGi.  These are:

1.  OSGi bundles as an implementation technology for SCA components
(implementation.osgi).  Here OSGi services and references are mapped
to SCA services/references and can be integrated with other
implementation technologies (e.g. BPEL, POJO, Groovy, etc...) and
invoked or can invoke over the various SCA bindings.  This is business
as usual for SCA, which is designed to enable the assembly of
heterogeneous implementation technologies.

2.  OSGi bundles as SCA contributions (OSGi providing modularity for
Java implementation types (e.g. implementation.osgi and
implementation.java)).
3.  OSGi providing modularity of the Tuscany runtime itself (business
as usual for OSGi and not a programming model relationship).

For me, these relationships demonstrate how the two technologies are
complementary.

Regards,

Graham.