Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2000/05/06 05:26:57 UTC

Re: How can I use db pool and ...?

1) As far as I know tomcat doesn't have built-in support for database
pools.  However, you can include the Oracle thin JDBC driver in the tomcat
classpath and make Oracle connections - you just need to handle any
pooling yourself.

2) Tomcat is made to work with Apache on port 80.  It also comes with its
own HTTP server, which can listen on a different port.  To set it up with
apache, edit the .conf file that comes with tomcat (under etc/ I think) to
list the "web apps" that you want to make visible to Apache, install the
mod_jserv module in your Apache modules directory, and include the tomcat
.conf in your httpd.conf for apache.
	I don't know of a way to make Tomcat aware of URLs at the highest
level (/foo.jsp as opposed to /webapp/foo.jsp).  Perhaps that's
possible if you make a generic .jsp handler (which I think is the
default).  Maybe someone else can indicate whether you can do that for
servlets?

3) I have had no stability problems in the real world, running a
low-traffic web site with Tomcat handling the servlets.  Everything I have
read here has led me to believe Tomcat is not yet ready for heavy-traffic
web sites, though.  At work, we're using WebLogic for EJB+Servlets with
Oracle.  That'll set you back some cash, but if you're running Oracle, you
must have some cash to spare.

Aaron