Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2019/11/27 16:35:58 UTC

3.0 Release Blog Post Series

Hey all,

with 3.0 on the horizon, we should start planning some of our
release communications.

For 2.0, we prepared a set of blog posts[1], one a week, in the
running up to the 2.0 release, each explaining a certain
feature in more detail. I’d like to suggest that we repeat
that experience, maybe with 2 a week, so we don’t have to
wait 8 weeks (see below).

I’ve worked with Felix* from my team to come up with a rough
proposal for topics. I’m volunteering Felix to help with the
coordination and copy editing for the posts, but we need your
help to get all the drafts done. In the past, topic experts
had wrote the drafts for the features they worked on.

(* Everybody, meet Felix :)

Here’s a tentative proposal for which topics to cover:

1. Introduction that 3.0 is happening, how it fits in between
2.0 and 4.0, what it all means, and a teaser for the list of
features to come in the following weeks.

2. default security: how we switch from admin party an
open by default, to closed by default.

3. shard splitting: finally, a good q for every occasion
and fully (up)-scalability

4. ken: auto-view warming finally!

5. smoosh: awesome compaction daemon

(4 and 5 might also have references to ioq2, which then might
not needs its own post, but could equally)

6. build-in support for adding search with no fuss

7. if it happens in time: _access, if not, a teaser of where we are.

8. the release announcement, highlights, upgrade notes,
pointers back to feature posts, the lot.

—

Is there anything we missed?

—

I’m volunteering for 1. 2. and 7., and I’m happy to work on 8.

It’d be great to get volunteers for the other ones.

Best
Jan

[1]: https://blog.couchdb.org/2016/08/23/check-out-the-road-to-couchdb-2-0-series/

Re: 3.0 Release Blog Post Series

Posted by Felix Haverkamp <fe...@neighbourhood.ie>.
Hey everyone,

Hope you are all good. Just wanted to follow up on the blog posts. We have two drafts (google link below) and Joshua Mintz and Mike Breslin signed up for Partition queries. It would be great to have more volunteers writing a post:)
Here is a list of what we have so far:

1. Introduction that 3.0 is happening, how it fits in between 2.0 and 4.0, what it all means, and a teaser for the list of features to come in the following weeks (Jan)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mkmK3lgTybqTs2FkmI0ZaMvMqiRtGv_G8ojrzg06p40/edit <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mkmK3lgTybqTs2FkmI0ZaMvMqiRtGv_G8ojrzg06p40/edit>
2. default security: how we switch from admin party an open by default, to closed by default. (Jan)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QVD096o4OOq7Idl6uMcF_hHsTw-3Z-DMgrQyU5Hi1Oc/edit#heading=h.eyxn40e5h87o <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QVD096o4OOq7Idl6uMcF_hHsTw-3Z-DMgrQyU5Hi1Oc/edit#heading=h.eyxn40e5h87o>
3. Partition queries (Mike Breslin and Joshua Mintz)

4. shard splitting: finally, a good q for every occasion and fully (up)-scalability

5. ken: auto-view warming finally!

6. smoosh: awesome compaction daemon

7. build-in support for adding search with no fuss

8. if it happens in time: _access, if not, a teaser of where we are.

9. the release announcement, highlights, upgrade notes,
pointers back to feature posts, the lot.

Happy to write some more names behind the topics.

Best
Felix

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Heya,

Posted by Joshua Mintz <mi...@gmail.com>.
Partition queries should be included. Sign Mike Breslin and I up to write
it!

Thanks.

-Josh

Posted by Felix Haverkamp <fe...@thehoodiefirm.com>.