Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> on 2005/11/14 10:09:18 UTC

Gump3 does "last successful build"

Hi gang,

okay so I got the last two "must have" (IMHO) low-level features implemented over
the weekend. Gump3 now saves "the last successful build" (and nothing else), and it
now seperates the checkouts from the builds.

The "last build" functionality works quite differently from gump2 -- rather than
saving only declared outputs (eg, jars), we save absolutely everything. This makes
it feasible to do the same for non-java builds.

After studying the rsync sourcecode, the rsync.py source code, and the sync.py from
gump2, I wrote a new piece of sync code that is supposedly considerably faster than
anything we've used before. By using hardlinks combined with native rsync (if
possible), its actually faster than just running native rsync "by hand". Using hard
links also means using 2-3 times less disk space. Yay!

Now, I hope to find some time to get some form of web reporting out of all this. I'm
still hoping that we can use dynagump or gump-presentation but if something doesn't
change soon there I think I'll hack "something" up -- I want to be able to do a shiny
demo at apachecon :-)

LSD

Re: Gump3 does "last successful build"

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:

> The "last build" functionality works quite differently from gump2 --
> rather than saving only declared outputs (eg, jars), we save
> absolutely everything. This makes it feasible to do the same for
> non-java builds.

++1

Stefan

Re: Gump3 does "last successful build"

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> okay so I got the last two "must have" (IMHO) low-level features implemented over
> the weekend. Gump3 now saves "the last successful build" (and nothing else), and it
> now seperates the checkouts from the builds.
>
> The "last build" functionality works quite differently from gump2 -- rather than
> saving only declared outputs (eg, jars), we save absolutely everything. This makes
> it feasible to do the same for non-java builds.
>
> After studying the rsync sourcecode, the rsync.py source code, and the sync.py from
> gump2, I wrote a new piece of sync code that is supposedly considerably faster than
> anything we've used before. By using hardlinks combined with native rsync (if
> possible), its actually faster than just running native rsync "by hand". Using hard
> links also means using 2-3 times less disk space. Yay!
>
> Now, I hope to find some time to get some form of web reporting out of all this. I'm
> still hoping that we can use dynagump or gump-presentation but if something doesn't
> change soon there I think I'll hack "something" up -- I want to be able to do a shiny
> demo at apachecon :-)

sweeeet :-)

--
Stefano.