Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by EP...@upstate.com on 2003/06/17 18:39:54 UTC

Fragileness in PullService and VelocityService

Hi all,

I discovered something while trying to do final testing on the Configuration
stuff.  I couldn't get Turbine to use pull tools when I loaded via the
ConfigurationFactory, but via the old method, everything worked.  However, I
did come up with what the issue is using the old method:

Fails:
services.VelocityService.classname=org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.Turb
ineVelocityService
services.PullService.classname=org.apache.turbine.services.pull.TurbinePullS
ervice

Suceeds:
services.PullService.classname=org.apache.turbine.services.pull.TurbinePullS
ervice
services.VelocityService.classname=org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.Turb
ineVelocityService

The TurbineVelocityService REQUIRES the TurbinePullService to load up first.
However, my darn config factory doesn't have any order to the parameters as
they are returned..

Not sure what to do..  Change Configuration so that if you have paramerters:
Services.a
Services.b
Services.c

then they are always returned in that order?  Ugh...   Or, change something
in Turbine to force PullService to load before VelocityService?

Eric Pugh

Re: Fragileness in PullService and VelocityService

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
EPugh@upstate.com writes:

Yes. If you don't, the pull service doesn't register with velocity
service for refresh.

Yes, it sucks. However, there no really easy way around this without
major core changes.

	Regards
		Henning

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.
This is not the only case that you will find on services having a
dependency on each other.  This is why the order in which the services
are listed in TR.props is important.  I think that in order to support
the existing coupled services, you will need to allow for a configurable
initialization order.

Quinton McCombs
NequalsOne - HealthCare marketing tools
mailto:qmccombs@NequalsOne.com