Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu> on 2013/02/20 17:11:56 UTC

Running VMware images on KVM host

Hello

Have anyone succeeded in running VMware/KVM mixed environment for VCL?

I'm having difficulties starting Windows 7 VMware images on KVM: the image would convert and load, but Windows gets blue screen.
I assume this is due missing virtio drivers while attempting to run Windows on KVM.

We also have VMware tools installed on Windows image, which may also contribute to the problem.

Thank you,
--
Dmitri Chebotarov
Virtual Computing Lab Systems Engineer, TSD - Ent Servers & Messaging

Re: Running VMware images on KVM host

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
Thank you. I'll try it again taking notes below into account.

--
Thank you,

Dmitri Chebotarov
VCL Sys Eng, Engineering & Architectural Support, TSD - Ent Servers & Messaging

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
I think I found why some subroutines are not called.
In our environment we don't use Repository Path (under VM Host profile) and it looks like those subs only called when the setting is configured.
Ie. libvirt.pm:find_repository_image_file_paths() sub excludes .vmdk and returns proper -flat.vmdk file.
KVM.pm::update_windows_image() is also called on a condition when Repository Path is present in a VM profile.

What does Repository Path do and how is it different from Base Images (Virtual Disk Path)?
I use Virtual Disk Path (Base Images) and VM Working Directory Path for linked clones.
Both paths are on a shared NFS storage where all VM hosts have access.

Thank you,

Posted by Andy Kurth <ar...@ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
Andy, thank you for the info, it helped a lot...

I'm still working on details and testing, but at this point VCL loads VMware images on KVM hosts.
I needed to make some changes to Windows XP image to load it on KVM - this link has details -> http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#Prepare_the_Windows_operating_system_2.
I did first two steps (remove vmware-tools & Enable IDE) on the VMware image and it loads on KVM just fine and everything appears working OK.

I've tried few versions of qemu/libvirt. Current configuration uses libvirt-1.0.3 and qemu-1.4.0 (latest) compiled on CentOS 6.3. I'don't know if I get the same results with older versions. xCAT helps to deploy KVM host image with custom changes to all blades - I don't need to build it multiple times...

I've tried Fedora 18, but for some reason HS21 server loosing keyboard after 30-40 sec, which makes it hard for initial server configuration.
If it wasn't for the keyboard problem (which I think is specific to my environment) then Fedora 18 would be my choice for KVM host, considering that oVirt only supports Fedora 18 at this point. Managing KVM from command line works, but GUI would be nice.

As for the linked clones, I found that copy-on-write image appears to works fine. It's very fast to create and barely uses any space at all.
I've changed 'qemu-img convert...' command in libvirt.pm to 'qemu-img create -b $source_file_paths_string -f qcow2 \"$destination_file_path\"' to clone KVM image. Also updated domain xml file for disk type.
Haven't tested it when updating/creating new image...

Thanks.

Posted by Andy Kurth <ar...@ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
Hi

Posted by Andy Kurth <ar...@ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
I'm compiling qemu-1.4.0 right now and will try it with the new version.

Thank you.

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
Hi

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

We are also running a mix of VMware and KVM host servers.  We are using Fedora
16 as the KVM host.  VCL can automatically deploy images captured on either
one to either host type.  Andy might be able to speak better to any
requirements for it to work, but as long as you follow the online instructions
on creating base images, it should work.

Josh

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:18:08 PM Yannick Charbonneau wrote:
> We have a mixed vmware/kvm setup.
>
> I think one thing we were missing initially was "libguestfs-winsupport"
> package.  Which caused issues with windows machines moving from vmware to
> kvm.

> We run our vcl on CentOS 6.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Yanik

- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

RE: Running VMware images on KVM host

Posted by Curtis <se...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Young h Oh <oh...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Dmitri,
>
> How did you convert the Windows 7 VMware images? I've converted many
> VMware images to KVM iamges using qemu-img command but there was no problem
> for the Windows 7 images. (e.g., qemu-img convert VMware-Windows7-flat.vmdk
> -O raw KVM-Windows7.img). I think the blue screen might be caused by the
> wrong definitions in the VM's XML file, especially the disk format.
> Probably, you need to set the disk bus type to "ide" instead of virtio. For
> more detail setting, please refer to http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html.
> Also, the VMware tools in your converted KVM image can cause errors but not
> the blue screen. I hope this would be helpful.

Thanks, that's a good point regarding IDE. Again I'm OpenStack biased as it
uses virtio by default to boot vms. :)

Thanks,
Curtis.

--