Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Didier <di...@free.fr> on 2005/01/18 22:17:53 UTC

EngineServices in components

Hi everybody !

Is it possible to associate a service within my own component without modifying
the application file ? If yes, how to implement it in tapestry 3.0.1 and staying
compatible with 3.1 at the same time ?
Thanks.

  Did

Re: EngineServices in components

Posted by Did <di...@free.fr>.
> Great idea! I would be interested in using it when it is complete
>
> Does it really need to be "on the fly"?
>
> What if your component was packaged in a tapestry component library? The
> library specification can contain the <service ...> tag.
> Tapestry will search for all services contained in libraries (i.e.
> <library ...> tag) referenced in the application specification.
> See the book chapter 8 pages 336-337 for an example.
>
> Cheers,
> Jon

> For additional commands, e-mail: tapestry-user-help <at> jakarta.apache.org

Thank you for your help Jon !!!! Yesterday, I looked at the dtd and I did not
notice that the service tag could be inserted in the library definition (but I
was very tired so ...).
As soon as the component is finished and tested, I will put it online.

Posted by Jonathan Millett <jo...@millett.net>.

Posted by Did <di...@free.fr>.
Didier <dinedine31 <at> free.fr> writes:

> Hi everybody !
>
> Is it possible to associate a service within my own component without
modifying
> the application file ? If yes, how to implement it in tapestry 3.0.1 and
staying
> compatible with 3.1 at the same time ?
> Thanks.
>
>   Did

> For additional commands, e-mail: tapestry-user-help <at> jakarta.apache.org

Is there a method in the service class (or any classes, I don't known) to add
directly (on the fly) my own service, instead of using the <service ...../> tag
in my application file ? I hope that my question is understandable (if not,
please say it !!!).

Actually, I'm working on the LiveTextField component (using the XmlHttpRequest
feature of navigators) described by Howard Lewis Ship in a previous post about
google suggest. It is nearly finished (about 90%: javascript OK, component OK,
model (to specify what data in the returned xml) OK, associated service: not
yet finished ;-) ). For the service, HLW has said that an engine service could
be packaged within a component but I have found no information (mailling list +
book + documentation online) about this feature. All what I know (seen in the
wiki), is that there will be big changes between Tapestry 3.0.1 and Tapestry
3.1 about engine services, and I would like that my component works in Tapestry
3.0.1 and 3.1.

thanks

 Did