Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org> on 2001/09/21 15:56:58 UTC

default.properties

Hi,

Is there any reason by we can't define everything in default.properties like
we we're doing in build.properties? If this method is working well in other
projects (dlr mentioned using it) than I will use the same method in the TDK
but I don't really like defining properties in the top-level of the
build.xml file.

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

Re: default.properties

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> writes:

> I don't see any reason why not.  Using default.properties allows
> people to personalize project properties using a
> project/build.properties file, while supplying reasonable defaults for
> the properties used by the build.xml file.  I believe that this is
> customary in a few other Jakarta projects as well.

...though most of those other projects inline their defaults into
their build.xml file, unfortunately.

Re: default.properties

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any reason by we can't define everything in default.properties like
> we were doing in build.properties?

I don't see any reason why not.  Using default.properties allows
people to personalize project properties using a
project/build.properties file, while supplying reasonable defaults for
the properties used by the build.xml file.  I believe that this is
customary in a few other Jakarta projects as well.

> If this method is working well in other
> projects (dlr mentioned using it) than I will use the same method in the TDK
> but I don't really like defining properties in the top-level of the
> build.xml file.

Neither do I.