Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com> on 2002/06/20 10:20:26 UTC

How are people using Chainsaw/LogFactor5?

Hi all,

I have three environments that I am interested in monitoring via LogFactor5,
dev, test, and production.  What is causing me problems is that the current
setup for both LF5 and CS is that the server has to know where the client
is.  Versus the client just picking the server to listen to.  I want to be
able to have a single copy of LF5 on my laptop, and then be able to "pick" a
server to listen in on.  And if I want to receive events to a different
machine, I need to reconfigure my log4j.prop files and restart my servers.

Is there anything out there that allows my various Socketappender messages
from dev, test, and live to be aggregated on a single server, and then have
a client connect to the single known server and listen for messages?
Somewhat related, are there any good applet based log viewer solutions that
could be used?

Eric Pugh

Re: How are people using Chainsaw/LogFactor5?

Posted by Rafael Alvarez <so...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Eric,
           Perhaps you should consider to use the JMSAppender.
Just install a JMS provider and setup a topic for each server. Then,
any time you want to check the logs just connect your client to the
provider to listen to the topic you're interested (I guess you will
need to code the client anyway).

m2c

Rafael Alvarez
mailto:soronthar@yahoo.com