Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Seetha <ab...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/25 06:52:03 UTC

Re: Naive Bayes Classifier - Scores

Ramprakash Ramamoorthy <youngestachiever <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
>              I am performing a sentiment analysis using the naive bayes
> classifier on apache mahout. Every time when I get the result, I get a
> category and a score corresponding to the score.
>
>              Can some one here enlighten me on the score? Like what is the
> maximum score for a given category(I have two categories - positive and
> negative). So based on the score can I categorize them as very
> positive,very negative etc. Any input regarding the same would be helpful.
> Thank you.

Hi Ramprakash,

Have you resolved the problem u mentioned earlier.

Thank you.

Re: Naive Bayes Classifier - Scores

Posted by Johannes Schulte <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

the score is the probability of the example belonging to the class but
under independence assumptions and hence only useful to compare scores of
different classes with each other (..more likely than..). Since it is meant
to be a probability, it can range from 0 to 1.

If you want to transform the score into probabilities, maybe "calibration"
of scores is something for you. Look at the following paper

http://www.bradblock.com/Transforming_Classifier_Scores_into_Accurate_Multiclass_Probability_Estimates.pdf

HAve a nice day,

Johannes