Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Richard Draucker <ri...@draucker.com> on 2001/08/15 17:04:23 UTC

db connection denied access

This is odd and I'm stumped.  I have a simple db connection class in a jar
under ~app/WEB-INF/lib.  I have a servlet under ~app/WEB-INF/classes that
imports this connection class.  The mm.mysql driver jar also resides in this
WEB-INF/lib.
The servlet accesses the connection class just fine.  But, when the
connection class attempts a connection to the database I get the error:

java.sql.SQLException: Server configuration denies access to data source

However, if I cut 'n paste the code from the connection class into the
servlet I have no problem with the connection or data retrieval.

FYI:
RH7.1 new installation
jdk 1.3.1
Tomcat 3.2.1
MySQL 3.2.2

--
Richard Draucker richard@protected-data.com
Protected-Data.Com www.protected-data.com

Re: db connection denied access

Posted by Richard Draucker <ri...@draucker.com>.
Thanks, I found the problem.  Probably shoulda posted this on the MySQL
group, sorry.  Using the host ip in the connection url for the db generates
the error.  Using 'localhost' or any host name that the database considers
valid works just fine.

- Richard

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.
At 11:49 AM 8/15/2001, you wrote:
>If you're going to be using MySQL, do yourself a favor and buy this book:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735709211/qid=997901246/sr=2-2/107-4
>535935-5049369

Or, do yourself a bigger favor and use Postgres.

Re: db connection denied access

Posted by Jeff Kilbride <je...@kilbride.com>.
You need to read chapters 4.2 and 4.3 of the MySQL manual:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/P/r/Privilege_system.html
http://www.mysql.com/doc/U/s/User_Account_Management.html

MySQL has a somewhat strange privilege system for granting access to the
database. But it's very flexible, once you learn it.

If you're going to be using MySQL, do yourself a favor and buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735709211/qid=997901246/sr=2-2/107-4
535935-5049369

It's invaluable.

--jeff