Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gb...@superb.net> on 2003/07/28 18:11:11 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] IP Based Virtual Host

Hi Jonathan,

This solution doesn't work... if two domains are sharing the same IP,
the first one is going to be used for both sites... if you read the cert
when you go to https://www.domain2.com, you'll see that it the exactly
the same if you go to https://www.domain1.com, ie domain1.com.crt

If you put the virtualhost container of domain2.com before domain1.com,
the certs are going be domain2.com.crt

The data is being encrypted, but you users

Except if there is a new workaround that I'm not aware of, https can
just encrypt the headers if it finds the IP first...the old chicken and
problem.

Jonathan Hilgeman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, you can do this. I have a similar setup - I have one IP and several
> (about 50-80) domains all on name-based vhosting. Two of my domains are
> e-commerce stores and each have their own SSL certificate.
>
> Maybe my configuration file (using ModSSL) can help you. It's not perfect,
> but it works. My configuration looks something like:
>
> httpd.conf:
> --------------------------------
>
> .... all the regular stuff that's in httpd.conf ....
>
> <IfModule mod_ssl.c>
>    SSLPassPhraseDialog  builtin
>    SSLSessionCache         dbm:/usr/local/apache/logs/ssl_scache
>    SSLSessionCacheTimeout  300
>    SSLMutex  file:/usr/local/apache/logs/ssl_mutex
>    SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
>    SSLRandomSeed connect builtin
>    SSLLogLevel info
>    SSLLog  /usr/local/apache/logs/ssl_engine_log
> </IfModule>
>
> NameVirtualHost MY_IP_ADDRESS:443
>
> <VirtualHost MY_IP_ADDRESS:443>
>    ServerAdmin webmaster@domain1.com
>    DocumentRoot /www/sites/www.domain1.com
>    ServerName domain1.com
>    ServerAlias www.domain1.com
>    SSLEngine on
>    SSLCipherSuite
> ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
>    SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.key/www.domain1.com.crt
>    SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.key/www.domain1.com.key
>    <Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php3|php?)$">
>       SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
>    </Files>
>    <Directory "/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin">
>       SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
>    </Directory>
>    SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
> downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost MY_IP_ADDRESS:443>
>    ServerAdmin webmaster@domain2.com
>    DocumentRoot /www/sites/www.domain2.com
>    ServerName domain2.com
>    ServerAlias www.domain2.com
>    SSLEngine on
>    SSLCipherSuite
> ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
>    SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.key/www.domain2.com.crt
>    SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.key/www.domain2.com.key
>    <Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php3|php?)$">
>       SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
>    </Files>
>    <Directory "/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin">
>       SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
>    </Directory>
>    SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
> downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
> </VirtualHost>
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> - Jonathan

  Gustavo Baratto - Programming and Technical Support
  GBaratto@SUPERB.NET * (604) 638-2525 ext. 408

  Technical support web-site: http://support.superb.net
  Superb Internet Corp. "Ahead of the Rest"

Re: [users@httpd] IP Based Virtual Host

Posted by Jonathan Hilgeman <jh...@red-tea-rooibos.com>.
D'oh! That's what I get for trying to be self-important. :) Sorry Gustavo -
I'll go sit in the corner and eat some humble pie for a while. I coulda
sworn... ah well.

- Jonathan

Posted by Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com>.

Posted by Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com>.
On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 05:41:33PM -0700, Jonathan Hilgeman wrote:
> Eating pie is boring without reading material, so I might as well take the
> opportunity to learn more about the SSL process. Can anyone recommend some
> good material on understanding SSL, not necessarily in book form?

I'd suggest starting with the SSL/TLS Encryption guide in the Apache 2.0
documentation.  It starts with a high-level explanation of the different
ways encryption can be applied to the problems SSL tries to solve, but
moves into detailed explanations with configuration examples:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ssl/

Definitely worth a look!

Zac

Re: [users@httpd] IP Based Virtual Host

Posted by "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gb...@superb.net>.
Well, I tried this... Used UseCanonicalName On, but still the second
virtualhost uses the cert of the first virtualhost... Except if there is
a new way of doing https handshake, ssl on name-based is technically
impossible... anybody else could see this working?