Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu> on 2008/10/01 01:23:01 UTC

RE: "The Definitive Guide": online vs. print

The online one will naturally continue to evolve, but sometimes people
like to have the book by their side, or for offline reading etc.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Wed, 10/1/08, Baptiste MATHUS wrote:
> Beta 0.16. And there's a foreword about this versioning: [...]

I wonder how they'll update my print copy that came last week?

Dave

Re: "The Definitive Guide": online vs. print

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
Beta 0.16. And there's a foreword about this versioning:
Foreword: Beta 0.16
Alright,we're in a Beta release now.What does this mean? Not much,really it
just means that I no longer feel like we're going to have massive structural
changes between now and the 1.0 release of this book.[...]

So, as the book is free, I guess you could just download it and give it a
try. Maybe it'll look less disheartening as you have a real look at it...

Cheers.

2008/10/1 Trevor Harmon <tr...@vocaro.com>

> On Sep 30, 2008, at 7:23 PM, Brian E. Fox wrote:
>
>  The online one will naturally continue to evolve, but sometimes people
>> like to have the book by their side, or for offline reading etc.
>>

> Does anyone know what version the book is? If the online one is still in
> beta, then the book must be a beta release, too (which is kind of
> disheartening).
>

> Trevor

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: "The Definitive Guide": online vs. print

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 1-Oct-08, at 8:26 AM, Trevor Harmon wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2008, at 7:23 PM, Brian E. Fox wrote:
>
>> The online one will naturally continue to evolve, but sometimes
>> people
>> like to have the book by their side, or for offline reading etc.
>
> Does anyone know what version the book is? If the online one is
> still in beta, then the book must be a beta release, too (which is
> kind of disheartening).

The printed book has all the editing, copy editing, and updates for
tools like Nexus and m2e. Tim did everything humanly possible,
including pushing out the release date, to get all the content updated
for the book. Tim has gradually started pushing the edits back into
online version.

> Trevor

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: "The Definitive Guide": online vs. print

Posted by Trevor Harmon <tr...@vocaro.com>.