Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Steiner, Stephan" <St...@nextiraone.ch> on 2005/04/07 11:15:10 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.x and Java 1.5

Hi

I'm trying to compile a couple of jsp pages that use Java 1.5 syntax. I
followed the Jasper how-to and replaced the jdt jar with the latest ant.jar
(taken from the Ant 1.6.2 distribution). After a restart of Tomcat, Tomcat
now uses the JDK compiler (I see different error message for my Java 1.5
code). However, the default is to write code compatible with JDK 1.4.

So I added the following lines to my web.xml config file (in the jsp servlet
section) and restarted Tomcat again:

	<init-param>
            <param-name>compilerSourceVM</param>
            <param-value>1.5</param>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>compilerTargetVM</param>
            <param-value>1.5</param>
        </init-param>

After a restart, trying to access any page yields a 404 error, with no
entries in the logfiles. Setting the version number to 1.4 instead yields
the same behavior. Removing those two init-params again and everything is
back to normal, but I still can't use Java 1.5 features. Is there anything
I'm missing to run Java 1.5 code on Tomcat 5.5.x?

Regards
Stephan

Re: Tomcat 5.5.x and Java 1.5

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 7, 2005 11:15 AM, Steiner, Stephan <St...@nextiraone.ch> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to compile a couple of jsp pages that use Java 1.5 syntax. I
> followed the Jasper how-to and replaced the jdt jar with the latest ant.jar
> (taken from the Ant 1.6.2 distribution). After a restart of Tomcat, Tomcat
> now uses the JDK compiler (I see different error message for my Java 1.5
> code). However, the default is to write code compatible with JDK 1.4.
>
> So I added the following lines to my web.xml config file (in the jsp servlet
> section) and restarted Tomcat again:
>
>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>compilerSourceVM</param>
>             <param-value>1.5</param>
>         </init-param>
>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>compilerTargetVM</param>
>             <param-value>1.5</param>
>         </init-param>
>
> After a restart, trying to access any page yields a 404 error, with no
> entries in the logfiles. Setting the version number to 1.4 instead yields
> the same behavior. Removing those two init-params again and everything is
> back to normal, but I still can't use Java 1.5 features. Is there anything
> I'm missing to run Java 1.5 code on Tomcat 5.5.x?

I updated JDT in Tomcat CVS to 3.1M6, as well as handling of those two
properties (which may or may not fix Ant, as I didn't test it), so you
can try building a new Jasper from CVS.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat