Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/02 23:12:16 UTC

Versioned documentation

Hi,

With the recent confusion about which parts of the documentation refer
to which Tika versions, I started thinking that we might want to
decouple the Tika web site from the latest trunk. In trunk we'd always
keep the very latest documentation (like we've done until revision
722625) and so when a release is made it will automatically contain
up-to-date documentation (of course someone needs to write it first
:-).

The public web site on the other hand would be managed in a separate
location, like repos/asf/lucene/tika/site, and would contain copies of
the documentation included in all released versions as well as generic
information like latest news, etc. When a release is made and the
download page updated, we'd also copy the released documentation to
the web site.

WDYT?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Versioned documentation

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
If it helps at all, Lucene Java has this setup pretty well using
Forrest, but I realize Tika may be just using Mvn's builtin
capabilities.

On Dec 2, 2008, at 5:12 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With the recent confusion about which parts of the documentation refer
> to which Tika versions, I started thinking that we might want to
> decouple the Tika web site from the latest trunk. In trunk we'd always
> keep the very latest documentation (like we've done until revision
> 722625) and so when a release is made it will automatically contain
> up-to-date documentation (of course someone needs to write it first
> :-).
>
> The public web site on the other hand would be managed in a separate
> location, like repos/asf/lucene/tika/site, and would contain copies of
> the documentation included in all released versions as well as generic
> information like latest news, etc. When a release is made and the
> download page updated, we'd also copy the released documentation to
> the web site.
>
> WDYT?
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll

Lucene Helpful Hints:

Re: Versioned documentation

Posted by Dave Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jukka,

2008/12/2 Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>

> The public web site on the other hand would be managed in a separate
> location, like repos/asf/lucene/tika/site, and would contain copies of
> the documentation included in all released versions as well as generic
> information like latest news, etc. When a release is made and the
> download page updated, we'd also copy the released documentation to
> the web site.
>
> WDYT?

+1, yes I think this will help to resolve some of the confusion we have
seen.

Cheers,
Dave

Re: Versioned documentation

Posted by Dave Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2008/12/8 Mattmann, Chris A <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>

> +1 to this, Jukka.
>
> I'd also like to add we should also include links to previous releases. As
> an example, the current website will only contain a link to the 0.2 current
> Tika release, but I think we should also include links to prior releases as
> well on the website.

I noticed this as well after I had made rc2 available. Was planning to add a
link to the archive location and some text detailing that for archived
releases go here, etc when I pushed the web site live.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Versioned documentation

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 to this, Jukka.

I'd also like to add we should also include links to previous releases. As
an example, the current website will only contain a link to the 0.2 current
Tika release, but I think we should also include links to prior releases as
well on the website.

Cheers,
Chris

On 12/2/08 2:12 PM, "Jukka Zitting" <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With the recent confusion about which parts of the documentation refer
> to which Tika versions, I started thinking that we might want to
> decouple the Tika web site from the latest trunk. In trunk we'd always
> keep the very latest documentation (like we've done until revision
> 722625) and so when a release is made it will automatically contain
> up-to-date documentation (of course someone needs to write it first
> :-).
>
> The public web site on the other hand would be managed in a separate
> location, like repos/asf/lucene/tika/site, and would contain copies of
> the documentation included in all released versions as well as generic
> information like latest news, etc. When a release is made and the
> download page updated, we'd also copy the released documentation to
> the web site.
>
> WDYT?
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting