Posted to user@click.apache.org by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/16 16:25:53 UTC

Click JDK 5

Hi all,

We want to again raise the issue of moving Apache Click to JDK 5 and
want to solicit feedback on whether there still a need to keep JDK 1.4
compatibility going forward?

kind regards

bob

Re: Click JDK 5

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

I think moving to Java 1.5 provides the opportunity to improve Click
in lots of ways:
* introduce annotations to enable more explicity autobinding, and move
away from using public scoped page variables
* introduce typed collections in the Click API
* enable better support for Spring integration (stereotype)
* fix up Cayenne 3.0 integration issues with JDK 1.4 compiled Click classes

regards Malcolm Edgar

Re: Click JDK 5

Posted by jschmidt <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Click JDK 5

Posted by "Adrian A." <a....@gmail.com>.
> Oh, but I *am* using JDK6 with Click. But I use the provided jars
> instead of the sources provided by Click. The libs are obviously
> compiled with 1.4 to be compatible. If I want to run Click as "native"
> JDK6, I would have to include the sources in my project and compile them
> myself.
>
> But I don't know if I want that. Should I?
Yes. It's very simple:
1. checkout
http://incubator.apache.org/click/docs/developer-guide/source-code.html
2. build
http://incubator.apache.org/click/docs/developer-guide/building.html

In fact you might need to, e.g. if you are using Cayenne 3 (with the
click integration).

A.

Re: Click JDK 5

Posted by WarnerJan Veldhuis <wa...@qprcostcontrol.com>.

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 18:36 +0000, Freddy Daoud wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just my 2c. It is important to distinguish the advantages
> *in the Click API* of using JDK5 features from the advantages
> of using JDK5 yourself. So reasons like:
>
> - JDK1.4 has reached EOL in October 2008 so people could have seen it
> coming.
> - JDK 5 has been available for a long time, and even THAT will reach
> EOL, as per October 2009)
> - JDK 6 is much faster :)
>
> are not valid IMHO. What I mean by that, is that Click does not
> *require* JDK1.4 - it is merely compatible with it. There's nothing
> stopping *you* from using JDK6 with Click and taking advantage of
> everything said above. The only difference is when you deal with
> the Click API - you won't get generified collections for example,
> so you'll get warnings and so on. So indeed that's where I agree
> that for example the proper use of generics and annotations in a
> JDK5 version of Click would help.
>
> Cheers,
> Freddy

WarnerJan Veldhuis

QPR CostControl BV
Clarissenhof 15
4133 AB Vianen
Tel: +31(0)347 355023
Helpsdesk: +31(0)347 355027

Re: Click JDK 5

Re: Click JDK 5

Posted by WarnerJan Veldhuis <wa...@qprcostcontrol.com>.
Hello,

I see a few reasons for dropping 1.4 compatibility:

- JDK1.4 has reached EOL in October 2008 so people could have seen it
coming.
- JDK 5 has been available for a long time, and even THAT will reach
EOL, as per October 2009)
- JDK 6 is much faster :)
- Generics and annotations?

IMHO you can't keep 1.4 compatibility until the last customer has left
the building. One day they will have to upgrade their JDK.

My 2c,

WarnerJan

Re: Click JDK 5

Posted by jschmidt <jo...@yahoo.com>.

> We want to again raise the issue of moving Apache Click to JDK 5 and
> want to solicit feedback on whether there still a need to keep JDK 1.4
> compatibility going forward?

Yes, please move ASAP to JDK 5.

thanks,
Joseph.

Re: Click JDK 5

Posted by Demetrios Kyriakis <de...@gmail.com>.
> We want to again raise the issue of moving Apache Click to JDK 5 and
> want to solicit feedback on whether there still a need to keep JDK 1.4
> compatibility going forward?
Glad to see that after more than 1 year you are reconsidering the move
to 1.5 :).
Some of the interesting annotations I found at that time:
http://docs.google.com/View?docID=dfg7fx8s_2cs2r9wfq

So again, my +1 for the move to jdk 5.

Re: Click JDK 5

Posted by Ricardo Lecheta <rl...@gmail.com>.
>>I would appreciate the use of JDK 5 especially beause of generics in
collections :)

Hi, you already can do that :-)

--
Ricardo Lecheta

Re: Click JDK 5

Posted by Sven Pfeiffer <sv...@madsep.de>.
Hi Bob,

Re: Click JDK 5

Posted by Christopher Highway <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

I'd say it's about time :-)

Re: Click JDK 5

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ricardo,

There are a couple of plans outlined on the wiki[1], mostly to do with
  leveraging annotations for autobinding.

Also our dependencies are becoming a problem as they move to jdk5 e.g:
Cayenne 3.0.

Its not yet clear which version of Click should make the switch. I
think the target will be either the current development branch, 2.1.0,
or the release following 2.1.0.

kind regards

bob

[1]: http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLICK/Java+5+Support

Re: Click JDK 5

Posted by Ricardo Lecheta <rl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bob,

--
Ricardo Lecheta

Re: Click JDK 5

Posted by "Adrian A." <a....@gmail.com>.
> We want to again raise the issue of moving Apache Click to JDK 5 and
> want to solicit feedback on whether there still a need to keep JDK 1.4
> compatibility going forward?
+1 for moving to JDK 5.

A.