Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com> on 2006/08/17 09:28:34 UTC

Fwd: svn commit: r432157

Raymond,

Sorry to keep harping on the dependencies issue but I now see we have
the webapp project dependent on the Axis binding and SDO. I realize
you did not introduce the Axis dependency and asked last week why it
was introduced but never received a response...I assume it was
because of issues we have with resolving dependencies.

Could you please explain the issues that are forcing us down this
path so we can find a solution? Significant hacks like this, if
necessary, should really be discussed on the list prior to making
them. Again, I am very uncomfortable with this as it appears we are
loosing site of our modularity goal.

Jim

Begin forwarded message:

Re: svn commit: r432157

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Aug 17, 2006, at 12:28 AM, Jim Marino wrote:

> Raymond,
>
> Sorry to keep harping on the dependencies issue but I now see we
> have the webapp project dependent on the Axis binding and SDO. I
> realize you did not introduce the Axis dependency and asked last
> week why it was introduced but never received a response...I assume
> it was because of issues we have with resolving dependencies.
>
> Could you please explain the issues that are forcing us down this
> path so we can find a solution? Significant hacks like this, if
> necessary, should really be discussed on the list prior to making
> them. Again, I am very uncomfortable with this as it appears we are
> loosing site of our modularity goal.

It also doesn't work as the axis binding uses <dependency> elements
that require the AritfactRepository to be running and that is not
part of the primordial deployer. These really should be deployed as
extensions.

A work-around might be to set the installDirectory in the RuntimeInfo
for the webapp to the real path (as returned by getRealPath()) of an
extension directory in the webapp e.g. WEB-INF/tuscany. This would be
used by the DirectoryScanExtender as the base for resolving relative
paths; with default config this would result in jars in WEB-INF/
tuscany/extension being loaded as extensions.

Just an idea - YMMV

--
Jeremy