Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com> on 2008/01/16 01:28:03 UTC

Release 4.1 Planning

Hi Dave, et. al.

So, I started the 4.1 Release Proposal page
<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ROLLER/Proposal+Roller+4.1+Release>
on the wiki.  It is very minimal.  In fact, the only thing in there is
the Proposal to Externalize User and Permissions Management and a minor
patch that I submitted.  There are three other proposals that indicate
they are slated for release 4.1, but Dave had said that the External
Users work was code complete and sitting in subversion.  I don't know
how far along the others are and if they are still slated for 4.1

I'd like to contribute to the 4.1 release, but I'd like to get an idea
of what the current plan is for the release.  (I'm really hot for the
external users capability.  I'm also considering working on subdomain
URLs and/or improved Atom Publishing Protocol support.)

Any comments?

Sean

Re: Release 4.1 Planning

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.
I have a handful of things in mind, but finding the time to do them
depends, in part, upon when I can rely on External User Authentication.
   If there is a "beta" quality implementation of that available, I
think I can justify the time (at my day job) to add a few more features.
  I'm just trying to get a feel for where the project is at and which
SVN branch I should be looking at when researching a few ideas.

If URLs like blogname.hostname.com can be easily added, I'm interested
(but not yet committed to doing that.)  I'm also interested in pounding
on and/or improving the Atom Publishing Protocol implementation.

On a related note, it seems that the project has not been following the
guidelines in the RollerReleasePlan
(http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=RollerReleasePlan)
For example releases are not happening monthly.  My suggestion is to
change the Release Plan to match the style of development that has
actually been occurring.  It seems that formal releases should happen
less often, but perhaps milestone-style releases (eg. M1, M2) could be
put out monthly.

I'm just trying to scope out the passing train and decide whether to
jump on, and if so, when and where.

-- Sean

Re: Release 4.1 Planning

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.