Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Nathan Bubna <nb...@apache.org> on 2008/12/03 07:01:30 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] VelocityTools 2.0-beta3 release

The Velocity developers are pleased to make the third (and probably
final) beta release of
VelocityTools 2.0 available for download.

Downloads are available here:
 http://velocity.apache.org/download.cgi

This should be useable as a drop in replacement for Tools 1.4 or Tools
2.0-beta2, with a few minor exceptions. The 2.x series of
VelocityTools also requires both Velocity 1.5+ and JDK 1.5+.

Since the last beta release, there have been a number of small fixes,
additional features (like caching for VelocityViewTag), and especially
improvements in the extensibility of VelocityView.

The Velocity developers are very interested in all feedback regarding
Tools 2.0, especially regarding backwards compatibility with apps
designed for Tools 1.4 or earlier. We aim to enable a smooth,
incremental transition for developers and their applications.

Aut-reloading Velocity when properties change

Posted by Steve O'Hara <so...@pivotal-solutions.co.uk>.
Hi Nathan,

Thanks for that.

In answer to your request for help, I can tell how we do it in our
extended VelocityViewServlet:-

protected void requestCleanup(HttpServletRequest objRequest,
HttpServletResponse objResponse, Context objContext) {

    // Check to see if we have been requested to reload the engine

    if (objContext.containsKey("ReloadVelocityEngine")) {
        VelocityEngine objNew = new VelocityEngine();
        try {

objNew.setExtendedProperties(Z_getApplicationProperties(getServletContex
t(), objNew));
            objNew.init();
            setVelocityEngine(objNew);
            mobjLogger.info("Velocity engine reloaded");
        }
        catch (Exception e) {
            mobjLogger.warn("Problem reloading a new Velocity engine - "
+ getErrorMessage(e));
        }
    }
}

The Z_getApplicationProperties call is a private method that fills up
all the configuration settings.  As you can see, it's triggered by some
part of the application adding a flag to the context.

I guess parts of this would be replaced by getVelocityView but it's the
triggering of the code that would need to be a bit more generic.
We load our settings programmatically but I imagine most people use a
properties file, so you could have an optional "watch" feature that
checks the timestamp of the properties file and if changed, reloads the
engine.  The watch doesn't need to be a separate monitor thread, just do
the check every time a request is made.

To be honest, I'm happy to be doing this manually given that nobody else
seems to have a need for auto-reloading so don't spend too long thinking
about this.

Steve

Re: [ANNOUNCE] VelocityTools 2.0-beta3 release

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net> wrote:
> Apparently, there's only one binary jar published in
> http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/org/apache/velocity/velocity-tools/2.0-beta3/
> (i.e. no way to find velocity-tools-view-2.0-beta3.jar and
> velocity-tools-generic-2.0-beta3.jar).

I'm open to solutions...  i'm just not maven-savvy enough to feel
confident of the best way to do this.

> It's maybe not a so big deal since velocity-tools contains anything. We
> could consider that the ones wishing to use dedicated jars can build
> them themselves. After all, deploying only one jar is much more easier.

Or download them themselves.  They shouldn't have to build them.

> And the beta3 is not in the maven-1 repository.

Should we still be putting stuff in the maven-1 repo?  I'm not aware
of having done anything to put beta2 or even Engine 1.6 into the
maven-1 repo.  Perhaps some Maven maven has been doing this?

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.