Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Ben Peter <bp...@zentropypartners.com> on 2002/03/28 05:04:27 UTC

Using turbine with session-cookies disabled

All,

is anyone using turbine-2.2-b1 with URL-based session id propagation? I have
set cookies="false" in catalina-4.0.4's server.xml, which results in a
"Horrible Exception: java.lang.Exception: Infinite redirect detected...".

This issue seems so be rather old, I have found this
http://www.mail-archive.com/turbine-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg05877.html
thread from Jan this year, which describes exactly this problem.

Am I missing something, or will I have to patch and compile turbine myself as
described in this
http://www.mail-archive.com/turbine-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg05914.html
reply to above posting? (I would rather stick with the ease of the TDK than
digging into compiling myself - or can anyone confirm that has become more
straightforward with maven?)

Cheers,
Ben

Re: Using turbine with session-cookies disabled

Posted by Rodney Schneider <rl...@arcalink.com>.
On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 05:21, you wrote:
> If you think something needs to be done to the source, please send an
> enumeration of the steps and the reasoning behind them to the
> turbine-dev@jakara.apache.org list.
>
>                              Thanks, Dan

OK, I will send an email to turbine-dev now, but I am not a subscriber (the
traffic is too high for me), so can you email the turbine-user list with any
conclusions you come to?

Thanks,

-- Rodney

Re: Using turbine with session-cookies disabled

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.
On Tuesday, April 2, 2002, at 06:14  PM, Rodney Schneider wrote:

> Hey!  I just went to create a patch for this problem against the
> lastest CVS
> version of Turbine 2.2 and realised that Eric Dobbs has already fixed
> the
> problem.  The patches were committed to Turbine.java and friends on
> Friday.
>
> Thanks Eric!

You're welcome.  And I'm sorry that I neglected to
follow-up on this thread to let you know about it.

-Eric

Re: Using turbine with session-cookies disabled

Posted by Rodney Schneider <rl...@arcalink.com>.

Re: removing redirect code from turbine (was Re: Using turbine with session-cookies disabled)

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.
On Thursday, March 28, 2002, at 11:45  PM, Daniel Rall wrote:

> Eric, would you apply the changes to 2.2?

done.  I should draw extra attention to the changes to
SessionValidator and company.  It looks like that code
was only used by Turbine.java.  But I can back out
those changes if necessary.

-Eric

Re: removing redirect code from turbine (was Re: Using turbine with session-cookies disabled)

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net> writes:

> If deprecation policy does not apply here, then manually apply
> Peter's changes to the 2.2 code and be done with it.

Eric, would you apply the changes to 2.2?

- Dan

Re: removing redirect code from turbine (was Re: Using turbine with session-cookies disabled)

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
John McNally <jm...@collab.net> writes:

> Remove it.  The problem it was meant to solve has been gone for quite a
> while.  I think it only existed on jserv1.0.  We are not supporting use
> of jserv.

+1 on removing it -- Turbine officially supports servlet api 2.2 and
+higher.  JServ was 2.0.

Re: removing redirect code from turbine (was Re: Using turbine with session-cookies disabled)

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.
Remove it.  The problem it was meant to solve has been gone for quite a
while.  I think it only existed on jserv1.0.  We are not supporting use
of jserv.

john mcnally

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
It has been removed from the t3 code base. Just look at what I did to remove
it.

-jon

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by Ben Peter <bp...@zentropypartners.com>.
Rodney,

cool, that is good news! I'll do that right now.

Cheers,
Ben

Posted by Rodney Schneider <rl...@arcalink.com>.

Posted by Ben Peter <bp...@zentropypartners.com>.