Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Robert Spier <rs...@pobox.com> on 2003/04/02 18:51:44 UTC

Re: bdb on nfs

> and it states:
> Some Linux releases are known to not support complete semantics for
> the POSIX fsync call on NFS-mounted filesystems. No Berkeley DB files
> should be placed on NFS-mounted filesystems on these systems.
> therefor i'm wondering why there seems to be a common understanding,
> that bdb does not work on nfs.

It "works" - mostly, until it potentially starts to corrupt your data.

Any sort of locking on NFS is somewhat of a hack - it might work most
of the time - but when it doesn't - you'll wonder why you did it in
the first place.

Recently at $DAY_JOB, we had to back off using a networked BDB system
because we were seeing NFS related corruption.  (Different hosts would
see different views of the BDBs.)  Quite nasty.

(And this is on a relatively recent Linux.)

SleepCat said that they Linux issues they mention were generally on
much older kernels.

Concurrency is hard.  NFS comes close.

-R

Re: bdb on nfs

Posted by Robert Spier <rs...@pobox.com>.
Michael Price wrote:
> Daniel Berlin wrote:
> >> Concurrency is hard.  NFS comes close.
> > And gladly, most other network filesystems you can find today don't just
> > come close, they get it right.
> > :)
> Name two that work on Windows AND Unix and aren't beta.
> :)

And don't require custom on-disk formats... etc

(Anyway, I think we're off topic for dev@svn)

-R

Re: bdb on nfs

Posted by solo turn <so...@yahoo.com>.
--- Michael Price <mp...@atl.lmco.com> wrote:
> Daniel Berlin wrote:
> >> Concurrency is hard.  NFS comes close.
> >
> > And gladly, most other network filesystems you can find today
> don't just
> > come close, they get it right.
> > :)
>
> Name two that work on Windows AND Unix and aren't beta.
>
> :)
which ones are you thinking of (i do not care if they work on BOTH)?

Re: bdb on nfs

Posted by Michael Price <mp...@atl.lmco.com>.

Re: bdb on nfs

Posted by Daniel Berlin <db...@dberlin.org>.