Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by DeWayne McCarty <cl...@sbcglobal.net> on 2012/11/29 14:00:15 UTC

Data Base Conversion

I have a data base file created in MS Works. Is there a way to convert it to
Open Office data base, without doing a new OODB design?
 thank you
DeWayne McCarty

Re: Data Base Conversion

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.
On 11/29/2012 08:00 AM, DeWayne McCarty wrote:
> I have a data base file created in MS Works. Is there a way to convert it to
> Open Office data base, without doing a new OODB design?
>   thank you
> DeWayne McCarty
     Probably not. Anything created by MS Works has to be converted to
either a MS Office program or to AOO.
     The first thing to do is to save the database file as a CSV (comma
separated version) format. Then you can use Base to connect to the CSV file.

--Dan

Re: Data Base Conversion

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.
On 11/29/2012 01:04 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> Dan Lewis wrote:
>> On 11/29/2012 08:00 AM, DeWayne McCarty wrote:
>>> I have a data base file created in MS Works. Is there a way to convert
>>> it to
>>> Open Office data base, without doing a new OODB design?
>>>   thank you
>>> DeWayne McCarty
>>      Probably not. Anything created by MS Works has to be converted to
>> either a MS Office program or to AOO.
>>      The first thing to do is to save the database file as a CSV (comma
>> separated version) format. Then you can use Base to connect to the CSV
>> file.
>>
>> --Dan
> Dan;
>
> If I remember correctly some versions of Works could convert to dbase
> which if I remember correctly can be accessed by AOO Base.
>
> Dwayne; Check if your version of Works will save the database as dbase
> format. If I can find it I will dig out my old copy of Works 4.5A and
> check it.
Keith,
      You are probably right. Of the two choices CSV files verses the
dBase ones, dBase is what should be used if at all possible. But if it
is not, a CSV file can be opened in Calc and then saved as a dBase file.
This is a second choice. Connecting CSV files using Base is at best a
some what poor third choices.

--Dan

--Dan

Re: Data Base Conversion

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
Generally most data bases will accept a spread sheet. From MS Works convert
it to a Excel and it should not be a problem to import to openoffice

With Warm Regards

V.Kadal Amutham
919444360480

Re: Data Base Conversion