Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/09 15:55:43 UTC

[PROPOSAL] New module log4j-jetty

I would like to propose we add a new module called log4j-jetty whose sole
purpose is to implement org.eclipse.jetty.util.log.Logger

There is a way to get Log4j 1 and 2 to work with Jetty but it has to go
through Slf4j. I'd rather go directly.

Thoughts?

Gary

Re: [PROPOSAL] New module log4j-jetty

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 November 2017 at 11:34, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I do not want to drag
> > Tomcat down into my local repo or on my class path in my IDE just
> because I
> > am depending on log4j-appserver's one class for Jetty logging.
> >

> There are certain dependencies in use already that bring in half the
> internet (e.g., any Hadoop-related dependencies), so I wouldn't worry too
> much about it. ;)

Since we are going the way of smaller modules with focused deps, I thought
this would be a good thing.

Gary

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@apache.org>.
On 2017-11-09 20:09, Matt Sicker wrote:
> On 9 November 2017 at 11:34, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I do not want to drag
>> Tomcat down into my local repo or on my class path in my IDE just because I
>> am depending on log4j-appserver's one class for Jetty logging.
>>

> There are certain dependencies in use already that bring in half the
> internet (e.g., any Hadoop-related dependencies), so I wouldn't worry too
> much about it. ;)

I don't think we should contribute in making it worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

Re: [PROPOSAL] New module log4j-jetty

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 3:32 PM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>
> wrote:
>

>> > On Nov 9, 2017, at 2:34 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> servers)
>> >>

>> > First, thank you for being patient here and continuing to entertain this
>> > idea :-) So much can get lost in emails.
>> >
>> > The case of app servers is a great one because these are usually huge
>> > complex beasts with sometimes lots of dependencies.
>> >
>> > I do not think we want to end up with a kitchen sink app server module.
>> > From a developer's experience POV, I would never want my tooling (like
>> > Maven) to end up downloading and configuring in a project jars from a
>> bunch
>> > of app servers and their dependencies. Especially since any single
>> > application will likely only use a single app server (like the one I am
>> > working on now, we are using Jetty and that's it.)
>> >
>> > Gary
>>
>> I don’t think this is ever going to happen. As a user, you will download
>> log4j-appserver as a dependency and everything else should be marked as
>> provided. If you are using Jetty then the tomcat stuff will just be ignored.
>>
>> Frankly I am expecting that there won’t be many classes per app server.
>> Typically, it is just what is needed to bind the app server’s logging to
>> log4j. It is possible we might have lookup’s specific to the platform, but
>> I would expect we would have an easy way to determine which ones are
>> appropriate and which aren’t.
>>

> OK, I'll tuck in the Jetty code in log4j-appserver.

Finally got around to it. Done.

Gary

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Every module equates to another jar. I just don’t see why we need a jar
> for one class where a jar with 2 (as well as classes for other app servers)
> will serve equally as well.

First, thank you for being patient here and continuing to entertain this
idea :-) So much can get lost in emails.

The case of app servers is a great one because these are usually huge
complex beasts with sometimes lots of dependencies.

I do not think we want to end up with a kitchen sink app server module.
From a developer's experience POV, I would never want my tooling (like

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.