Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2007/09/14 09:12:03 UTC

Re: [POLL]: Cayenne 3.0 -- Java 1.4 or 5 support?

On Aug 20, 2007, at 4:32 AM, Gilberto Caetano de Andrade wrote:

> First I have to say something. It has some time that I have
> attempted to introduce cayenne here in our department and one of
> the main arguments that hasimpeded me was the support to the
> programming with POJO.
>
> But in this first project we are not using this option, being still
> in phase of learning and mainly for this characteristic not
> available in version 3.
> But I have to admit, as DBA I find that these characteristics
> (annotations, POJO, JPA, etc), they do not beat the modeller and
> the useful technique to avoid overwriting of the custom code.
>
> Thanks for your attention!
>
> Gilberto.
>
> PS.: We will try to switch to Cayenne 2.0.3 and see if the app works.

Hi Gilberto,

There is a revived discussion on the dev list about scheduling the
Java 5 switch to happen after 3.0M2 release (i.e. 3.0M3 will be Java
5 only). So I wanted to follow up with you on this. If you weren't
successful in using 2.0.3 in you app (which I hope you were), one
more possible option is applying retrotranslator to Cayenne jars:

   http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/

Note that I haven't tried this myself, and will be curious to hear
the results if somebody does.

Cheers,
Andrus

Re: [POLL]: Cayenne 3.0 -- Java 1.4 or 5 support?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Sep 14, 2007, at 6:36 PM, Gilberto C Andrade wrote:
> Are you saying that I can use cayenne 3 (but just 3.0M2 release)?

Yes. Still if you are limited to JDK 1.4, I would strongly recommend
to stay on 2.0.x (see below).

> As we are beginning with cayenne, what features does version 3 have
> that
> make it better than 2.0.3?

My favorite new features are lifecycle callbacks and pluggable query
cache. Out of the things that are coming post M2 I would single out
vertical inheritance. But consider that:

(a) 2.0.x is mature Cayenne API that's been used by many people in
production for a number of years, so it is quite capable, never mind
the new bells and whistles.
(b) 2.0.x is stable *now*.
(c) 2.0.x is supported on JDK 1.4, i.e. bugs will be fixed if found;
while you may find yourself in a situation when have to backport bug
fixes to 3.0M2 from the later 3.0 milestones.
(d) Migration from 2.0.x to 3.0 down the road is expected to be
fairly straightforward. Stable core API and easy upgrades is one of
the things we are very proud of (still worth checking the 3.0 RELEASE-
NOTES from time to time for deprecated API to stay away from it. Two
notable things are "derived" entities, and DataContext events).

>> http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Note that I haven't tried this myself, and will be curious to hear
>> the
>> results if somebody does.
> We thought about it some time ago, but we didn't have enough knowledge
> to put something like that in production and support it.
> But I think in our situation this may happen and sure we will try
> report
> the results to the mail list.

True - IMO that should be used as a last resort.

Andrus

Re: [POLL]: Cayenne 3.0 -- Java 1.4 or 5 support?

Posted by Gilberto C Andrade <gi...@secad.to.gov.br>.
Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2007, at 4:32 AM, Gilberto Caetano de Andrade wrote:
>

>> First I have to say something. It has some time that I have attempted
>> to introduce cayenne here in our department and one of the main
>> arguments that hasimpeded me was the support to the programming with
>> POJO.
>>
>> But in this first project we are not using this option, being still in
>> phase of learning and mainly for this characteristic not available in
>> version 3.
>> But I have to admit, as DBA I find that these characteristics
>> (annotations, POJO, JPA, etc), they do not beat the modeller and the
>> useful technique to avoid overwriting of the custom code.
>>
>> Thanks for your attention!
>>
>> Gilberto.
>>
>> PS.: We will try to switch to Cayenne 2.0.3 and see if the app works.
>
> Hi Gilberto,
>
> There is a revived discussion on the dev list about scheduling the Java
> 5 switch to happen after 3.0M2 release (i.e. 3.0M3 will be Java 5 only).
Hi Andrus,

Are you saying that I can use cayenne 3 (but just 3.0M2 release)?
As we are beginning with cayenne, what features does version 3 have that
make it better than 2.0.3?

> So I wanted to follow up with you on this. If you weren't successful in
> using 2.0.3 in you app (which I hope you were), one more possible option
> is applying retrotranslator to Cayenne jars:

Right now our webapp is in production using cayenne 2.0.3. So, we put
cayenne (in this case 2.0.3 and me, by suggesting it) in trial situation
with this project (a survey system). The first phase will be just
inclusions (collecting data, about a moth), after that will reports and
graphics (mainly statistics).
Well, thank is all I can say now!

>   http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/
>
> Note that I haven't tried this myself, and will be curious to hear the
> results if somebody does.
We thought about it some time ago, but we didn't have enough knowledge
to put something like that in production and support it.
But I think in our situation this may happen and sure we will try report
the results to the mail list.

Gilberto