Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Kirby Vandivort <kv...@ks.uiuc.edu> on 2003/04/08 17:31:13 UTC

printing object through bean:message

I have a 'Date' object that I'm wanting to print via the JSP page.

In Husted's book, on page 419 he mentions that you can say something like:

detected.ufo = At {2,time,short} on {2,date,long} etc

where a date is passed to the template via:

new ActionMessage("detected.ufo", blah, new Date())..  etc..

What sort of syntax do I need to use to do localization on a Date (or
any other java object, for that matter) if I'm not using an ActionMessage.

I'm iterating over a list, where each item in the list is a bean that
has a date accessible via getDate().

So, the ideal thing would be able to say, in the jsp page..

<bean:message key="detected.ufo" arg2= << something here >>    />

But I haven't been able to figure out what the 'something here' needs to
be to actually get it to work.  The only thing I've found that works
so far is:

<bean:write name="iteraterow" property="date">

which gives me no control over how the object gets printed and doesn't
use the resource string at all.

Any clues on what I'm doing wrong and how I can do it right?

Thanks!

--

Kirby Vandivort                      Theoretical and Computational Biophysics
Email: kvandivo@ks.uiuc.edu          3051 Beckman Institute