Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by luqmanahmad <lu...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/17 14:45:27 UTC

database table polling

Hi, We have a legacy system, 15 years old at-least, which we are working on
and trying to bring everything inside the grid - but in the meanwhile we
have to support our existing system as well. In the legacy system we have a
database polling mechanism ( please don't roll your eyes :D ) which is
constantly looking for a specific table for new rows which has got
references to other bits, and is quite expensive in terms of resources plus
there are many other problems as well. I was wondering if we have a cache
which is connected through cache store to this table - Is there any
functionality available in ignite to poll it directly for all the new rows.
This is something we want to add in our legacy system while working on our
new system.If such a functionality exist any help with respect to this would
be highly appreciated.Thanks,Luqman

Re: database table polling

Posted by Luqman Ahmad <lu...@gmail.com>.
Jorn, its oracle but we are migrating to postgres for newer system as the
license is too expensive. But for now we need the solution for Oracle.

I althought thought of deploying java classes into oracle instance but the
end user are not comfortable with its already crowded.

Re: database table polling

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: database table polling

Posted by Andrey Mashenkov <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luqman,

Please take a look at continuous queries.[1]

[1] https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/continuous-queries

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 5:45 PM, luqmanahmad <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, We have a legacy system, 15 years old at-least, which we are working
> on and trying to bring everything inside the grid - but in the meanwhile we
> have to support our existing system as well. In the legacy system we have a
> database polling mechanism ( please don't roll your eyes :D ) which is
> constantly looking for a specific table for new rows which has got
> references to other bits, and is quite expensive in terms of resources plus
> there are many other problems as well. I was wondering if we have a cache
> which is connected through cache store to this table - Is there any
> functionality available in ignite to poll it directly for all the new rows.
> This is something we want to add in our legacy system while working on our
> new system. If such a functionality exist any help with respect to this
> would be highly appreciated. Thanks, Luqman

Best regards,
Andrey V. Mashenkov

Re: database table polling

Posted by luqmanahmad <lu...@gmail.com>.
Val,

This might work and adding continuous queries on top, it will fly. So silly
I am using loadCache() every where in the new development but couldn't
think of it for this one.

Luqman

On 17 Jul 2017 23:18, "vkulichenko [via Apache Ignite Users]" <
ml+s70518n15037h72@n6.nabble.com> wrote:

Luqman,

Got it. This is not available out of the box. But I think you can just
create a cluster singleton service that will periodically call
IgniteCache#loadCache to poll the data. Will this work?

-Val

.
NAML
<http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: database table polling

Re: database table polling

Posted by luqmanahmad <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Val,

In our legacy system database polling is achieved through a separate table,
let say P, in case employee is updated then a new row gets added to P table
with the primary key of the employee which is updated and then a background
process keeps polling that table for the update.

In new system it will be completely in the grid but for the time being we
have to optimise the legacy system as it is not very resource effective and
during the peak times it just collapse.

What I was thinking if I create a cache with store for this P table is
there any technique which can poll that table with some interval for the
newly added rows and by using bits from our new development we can make
this process improve through ignite

I know its not an ideal use case but just trying to find an optimise way to
achieve the better results for the legacy bits.

Thanks,
Luqman

On 17 Jul 2017 7:18 pm, "vkulichenko [via Apache Ignite Users]" <
ml+s70518n15027h62@n6.nabble.com> wrote:

Hi Luqman,

What exactly do you mean by "new rows"? Is the database updated directly
and you then need to refresh cache with these updates?

-Val

.

Re: database table polling

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.