Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Christof Roduner <ch...@scandit.com> on 2014/04/01 21:53:27 UTC

Change IP address for all nodes

Hi,

Due to some network renumbering, we will need to change the IP addresses
(and networks) of all nodes in our cluster.

Will the following procedure work, or is there anything special we'll
need to consider?

   1. shut down all nodes
   2. update "listen_address", "rpc_address", "seeds" in cassandra.yaml
   3. update cassandra-topology.properties
   4. start all nodes

I'm asking because I remember some older reports (from 2011) about
possible issues.

We are currently on 1.2.x.

Thanks,
Christof

Re: Change IP address for all nodes

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Christof Roduner <ch...@scandit.com>wrote:

> Will the following procedure work, or is there anything special we'll need
> to consider?

If you do not use auto_bootstrap:false, this will not work.

https://engineering.eventbrite.com/changing-the-ip-address-of-a-cassandra-node-with-auto_bootstrapfalse/

Be careful, within some versions of 1.2.x there is an issue with using
auto_bootstrap which can result in broken node state in gossip. Do not do
this procedure in one of those versions! If you have trouble finding it in
JIRA/CHANGES.txt, let me know and I can try to dig it up.

=Rob