Posted to dev@skywalking.apache.org by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/17 08:37:04 UTC

[Release] Prepare for Helm release process. NOTICE for CLI sub project.

Hi Hongwei Zhai

Thanks for you to propose the helm repo official release process. As I have
been a release manager from day one, I could help you about this.

For an Apache release, first of you, you need to prepare the following
things
1. Decide which part of you are going to release. From GitHub repo, set up
the tag and generate source tar.
2. Source tar should include the helm chart for particular version(s), how
many version supported depend on your decision. All files should include
the Apache 2.0 header, please add a CI to test it, such as GitHub action.
3. LICENSE and NOTICE file are required, as we don't include any 3rd party
things, should be the standard LICENSE[1] and NOTICE[2].
4. Package helm source files, LICENSE, NOTICE and doc into the source tar.
With PGP sign, sha512. Read this[3] about pgp, and sha512 is easy, us this
command, shasum -a 512 file > file.sha512
5. Set up your version policy,
6. Upload all files into svn,
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/skywalking/ + helm + version.
7. Organize the test mail, vote mail, result mail.
8. Move the svn release RC to
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/skywalking/ + helm + version.
9. Organize annoucement mail and twitter

These steps may be long, but not complex.

For you, maybe test will become a high priority job, because only you and
Gao are working on this. We may need to invite more people to test, and
report the feedback from the community. And setting up the CI tests is
important.
But this is not a block, just a reminder.

Zhengxu Ke, Wei Zhang and all CLI team,
These steps are related to your potential CLI release too.

[1] http://apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#simple
[3]
https://github.com/apache/skywalking/blob/master/docs/en/guides/How-to-release.md#add-your-gpg-public-key

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Re: [Release] Prepare for Helm release process. NOTICE for CLI sub project.

Posted by hw zhai <in...@gmail.com>.
Agree, thanks .

Re: [Release] Prepare for Helm release process. NOTICE for CLI sub project.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Make sense to me.

After you move the current master to a new branch, maybe called
`legacy-helm-chart`,
you should submit a JIRA ticket[1] to the ASF INFRA team, request for
branch protection for `master` and `legacy-helm-chart`.
(Select `Infrastructure (INFRA)` as the project in JIRA issue, and indicate
project, repo, and branches)
All changes should go through a pull request, agree?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

hw zhai <in...@gmail.com> 于2019年11月18日周一 下午2:57写道: