Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2003/12/10 09:10:24 UTC

stabilize means STABILIZE (was: svn commit: rev 7961 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc)

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 04:21:12AM +0000, Julian Foad wrote:
> I checked in unclean, inconsistent code, and you pointed that out and I
> reverted it.  Now we should separately reconsider the design questions:
>
>   + Do we want to fix _any_ of the existing uses after closure?
>
>   + Do we want to programmatically prevent _some_ uses after closure?

We're trying to stabilize and release 1.0. This kind of work appears to be
*very* contrary to that.

Think about it: you had to REVERT the change. What does that say? When was
the last time that happend? Maybe during development it happened here and
there, but it wasn't common. And now we're in the END GAME, and a commit
went in which was Not Right and had to be reverted.

Come on. Please stop this kind of thing. It isn't going to help us reach a
1.0 release with this happening.

Look: everybody agreed to staying on the trunk for the 1.0 release. That
means treating it with extreme frickin' care. If commits like this happen
even one more time, then we are going to HAVE to branch.

We can clean and fix and clean and fix and clean and fix for the next six
damn years. How about we stop and get 1.0 out the door instead? If you're
about to type 'svn commit' ask yourself: do we really need this? do our
users need this for 1.0? is this an improvement so fantastic that it
*must* go into the codebase? Does that APR -> svn_io change have to
happen? Do we have to fix that error message? Does the comment *really*
need to change?  Most likely: no. Not at all.

Is there a memory corruption? Scalability problem? Crasher? Security
violation? Then yah. But how about posting a patch first? Maybe some
discussion? Maybe there are alternatives?

We're shooting for 1.0. Treat the trunk appropriately.

-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: stabilize means STABILIZE

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 16:53, Julian Foad wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> >
> > We're trying to stabilize and release 1.0.  This kind of work appears to be *very* contrary to that.
>
> Of course I am aware that we are trying to stabilise for release 1.0.  The problem is knowing where to
> draw the line between "stabilisation" and "destabilisation".  This change was not a critical bug fix
> but nor was it, in my opinion, significantly destabilising.
>
> I hear your point that we should only be doing critical fixes, but this is not the message I have got
> from the mailing list so far.  I was led to believe that we are going to branch for stabilisation,
> and that non-critical work can continue on the trunk.  I would welcome further clarification.

Since the estimated time to 1.0 is short, I thought we decided to
stabilize on trunk and branch _after_ 1.0.  However, if this period is
longer than a few weeks, I would certainly advocate branching as to
not stifle development.

> > Think about it: you had to REVERT the change. What does that say? When was
> [...]
>
> I apologise for checking in poor code, especially at this stage.  However, I did post it for pre-commit
> review, and specifically said that I wasn't sure about the "memset" part (which, as far as I am aware,
> is the only bad part).  I received only positive feedback.  Now, perhaps I didn't leave enough time for
> other reviewers, and anyway I don't blame review, or lack of it, for my mistakes.  I was too hasty, and
> I'm sorry for it.

I think Greg snapped at you a bit hard.  We know your intentions are
good and the tree is in a healthy state.  Let's move on (while slowly,
as to not destabilize the tree ;).

Sander

Re: stabilize means STABILIZE

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Greg Stein wrote:

> We're trying to stabilize and release 1.0.  This kind of work appears to be *very* contrary to that.

Of course I am aware that we are trying to stabilise for release 1.0.  The problem is knowing where to draw the line between "stabilisation" and "destabilisation".  This change was not a critical bug fix but nor was it, in my opinion, significantly destabilising.

I hear your point that we should only be doing critical fixes, but this is not the message I have got from the mailing list so far.  I was led to believe that we are going to branch for stabilisation, and that non-critical work can continue on the trunk.  I would welcome further clarification.

> Think about it: you had to REVERT the change. What does that say? When was
[...]

I apologise for checking in poor code, especially at this stage.  However, I did post it for pre-commit review, and specifically said that I wasn't sure about the "memset" part (which, as far as I am aware, is the only bad part).  I received only positive feedback.  Now, perhaps I didn't leave enough time for other reviewers, and anyway I don't blame review, or lack of it, for my mistakes.  I was too hasty, and I'm sorry for it.

- Julian

Re: stabilize means STABILIZE (was: svn commit: rev 7961 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Thursday, December 11, 2003 8:55 AM -0600 kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> as the recent wc access baton thing, or Tobias's SSL auth work, should
> only be done if they bring a large benefit, and even then need three
> +1's from full committers to go in?

+1.

I think if you get 3 full committers to explicitly agree that a commit should
go in, it should be fine and shouldn't affect stability.

This is a rather big organizational change, but one I think would go a long
way to achieving the stability goal.  -- justin

Re: stabilize means STABILIZE (was: svn commit: rev 7961 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc)

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 18:47, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Thursday, December 11, 2003 10:42 AM -0600 kfogel@collab.net wrote:
>
> > Sander Striker <st...@apache.org> writes:
> >> If that is the deal, branch today and backport on 3 +1s.
> >
> > 0.35 issues aren't done.
>
> To be honest, why couldn't those be backported too if we branched today?  It
> could be used as a demonstration of the policy for those who haven't been
> introduced to RTC on a branch.  And, trunk remains open.  -- justin

Exactly my thought.

Sander

Re: stabilize means STABILIZE (was: svn commit: rev 7961 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Thursday 11 December 2003 18.15, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> But I'm also sad at the same time.  My prediction is that #1093 will
> become the single biggest FAQ/disappointment among the Hordes that try
> svn for the first time after we release 1.0.  I really wish we had
> paid more attention to this issue a lot earlier (regret, regret).  It
> goes into my "embarrassing shortcomings" bucket -- where
> "non-restartable checkouts" used to live.  Oh well.

We can. It's so many bright brains here and all that power can do this,
especially since a lot of stuff and thoughts will have to wait until the
trunk opens for full traffic again.

My 2 øre (0.02 Kroner ;-)

Jostein

--
http://www.josander.net/kontakt/ ||
http://www.josander.net/en/contact/

Re: stabilize means STABILIZE (was: svn commit: rev 7961 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc)

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 11:04, Philip Martin wrote:

> It might be acceptable to release 1.0
> with the current diff, but if we may get complaints.

I agree that cmpilato's decision to table #1093 for post-1.0 is "sane",
especially given our super-conservative 1.0 release mood.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
kfogel@collab.net writes:

>> Regarding Mike Pilato's proposed fix for issue #1093: that would be a
>> prime candidate for the three +1's.  Suggest that we use the issue
>> tracker for recording votes (and if a proposed patch doesn't have an
>> issue, then it needs to get one).
>
> Mike realized there were more interface complexities here, and has
> dropped the idea of getting this into 1.0 -- high sanity, IMHO.  He'll
> attach his patch to the issue and unassign it from himself.

After the last diff interface discussion, when we agreed the --old
--new stuff, I implemented the current interface.  I didn't change the
underlying diff implementation, and so I think the current interface
promises more than it delivers.  It might be acceptable to release 1.0

Posted by Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
>>1.0-stabilization branch.  I don't think Tobias's commit should be
>>reverted, and obviously Julian was acting in good faith.  Just from
>>this point on, let's please be more conservative.
>
> Since Tobias *didn't* commit, please ignore that comment.

Hehe.  I was just checking my logs to be sure.  :-)

And a +1 on your +3 requirement before commit proposal.

/Tobias

Re: stabilize means STABILIZE (was: svn commit: rev 7961 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc)

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Crap.  Seems my brain is melting from trying to do too many things at
once today.  Need to concentrate on #1601 and not do email for a
while!  :-)

However, to clear up any confusion I may have caused:

kfogel@collab.net writes:
> 1.0-stabilization branch.  I don't think Tobias's commit should be
> reverted, and obviously Julian was acting in good faith.  Just from
> this point on, let's please be more conservative.

Since Tobias *didn't* commit, please ignore that comment.

> We definitely need to lose the attitude of "Gotta cram this new UI
> into the trunk before the 1.0 branch, so it's Right for 1.0."  There
> will still have to be UI improvements after 1.0 no matter what, we
> need to accept that.

Please apply this reasoning to the commit Tobias didn't make but was
considering :-).

> Regarding Mike Pilato's proposed fix for issue #1093: that would be a
> prime candidate for the three +1's.  Suggest that we use the issue
> tracker for recording votes (and if a proposed patch doesn't have an
> issue, then it needs to get one).

Mike realized there were more interface complexities here, and has
dropped the idea of getting this into 1.0 -- high sanity, IMHO.  He'll
attach his patch to the issue and unassign it from himself.

-Karl

Re: stabilize means STABILIZE (was: svn commit: rev 7961 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc)

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
I hate straddling the middle ground, because it seems so wishy-washy,
but I think Greg Stein's got a point, just not as strong a point as he
would have it.

We don't need to completely shut down all non-0.35 commits on trunk.
But we do need to get somewhat stricter than we have been.

Can we agree that until we branch, it's fine to commit riskless things
like error message fixes, comment fixes, and null checks (where the
thing *definitely* shouldn't be null)... but that larger changes such
as the recent wc access baton thing, or Tobias's SSL auth work, should
only be done if they bring a large benefit, and even then need three
+1's from full committers to go in?

Like Greg, I'm not complaining about a specific commit, just trying to
foster a general attitude.  We should be treating the trunk carefully
at this point, even though we're not officially branched, because
after all anything that goes into trunk now is going to be in the
1.0-stabilization branch.  I don't think Tobias's commit should be
reverted, and obviously Julian was acting in good faith.  Just from
this point on, let's please be more conservative.

We definitely need to lose the attitude of "Gotta cram this new UI
into the trunk before the 1.0 branch, so it's Right for 1.0."  There
will still have to be UI improvements after 1.0 no matter what, we
need to accept that.

So that's where I sit, somewhere between Greg and Greg :-).

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

"Erik Huelsmann" <e....@gmx.net> writes:
> Ok. Then we will have an explicit moment starting at which commits are not
> fine anymore: the moment of branching?

The moment of branching is when we start getting very picky about
commits.  "The moment of branching" means the moment we copy tags/0.35
to branches/1.0-stabilization, on Dec. 17th.  From that point on,
we'll scrutinize commits to the branch heavily.  Of course, that
doesn't mean we should go hog wild on the trunk :-).  Let's try not to
have the two lines diverge too much before 1.0 is released.

Even today, everyone is already conscious that very destabilizing
commits to trunk are a bad idea, even though we haven't officially
branched.  (The commit in question was appropriate, IMHO.  I've no
complaints about the decision to commit, even though it turned out to
need reversion later).

-Karl

Re: stabilize means STABILIZE (was: svn commit: rev 7961 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc)

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> I just wanted to say how happy I am with all the commits coming from
> Julian and Erik, in general.  You guys have become the supreme "code
> scrubbers", cleaning up stuff left and right.  It's really great!

Thanks, everyone, for comments like this and for keeping up such a high standard of coding which makes it a pleasure to work with you all.

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Wednesday 10 December 2003 12:15, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 10:16, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> > Exactly my understanding of the situation. No, there was no *need* to
> > have it in Subversion 1.0. On the other hand do I feel that we can save a
> > lot of time spent on support and make a generally good impression if the
> > program look good. That is what I'm trying to go for.
>
> I just wanted to say how happy I am with all the commits coming from
> Julian and Erik, in general.  You guys have become the supreme "code
> scrubbers", cleaning up stuff left and right.  It's really great!

I agree.  I wish I could've contributed half as much as Julian.

-John

Re: stabilize means STABILIZE (was: svn commit: rev 7961 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc)

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> I just wanted to say how happy I am with all the commits coming from
> Julian and Erik, in general.  You guys have become the supreme "code
> scrubbers", cleaning up stuff left and right.  It's really great!

I agree.  I objected to this particular change, but I have no problem
with the cleanups in general.

--
Philip Martin

Re: stabilize means STABILIZE (was: svn commit: rev 7961 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc)

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
Feeling spoken to, I just have to react to this.

> We agreed to branch, because the stabilization period will be
> short, but I think we're going to do that just after 0.35, which is
> beta.  Right now we're still in alpha.

This is my understanding of the situation too.

> > We can clean and fix and clean and fix and clean and fix for the next
> six
> > damn years. How about we stop and get 1.0 out the door instead?

This is all so true, but I believe I'm not interfering with core development
and neither am I taking lots of time of the core development team. I don't
think that my understanding of different functions in the big picture is big
enough to tacle any big issues. I can, however, contribute to the codebase by
trying to make error messages consistent and find leaking temporary files.
That way, the core development team can - in my opinion - concentrate on the
more important tasks at hand... If you (all) want me or Julian to stop
committing, that's fine. Just tell me so. Submitting patches for review prior to
committing is what we both have been doing for many of the contributed cleanups.

> > If you're
> > about to type 'svn commit' ask yourself: do we really need this? do our
> > users need this for 1.0? is this an improvement so fantastic that it
> > *must* go into the codebase? Does that APR -> svn_io change have to
> > happen? Do we have to fix that error message? Does the comment *really*
> > need to change?  Most likely: no. Not at all.
>
> We're still in alpha, and none of the changes you're talking about have
> been destablizing.  (Even Julian's didn't break anything, as far as I
> know, although it certainly made the code unclean.)

Exactly my understanding of the situation. No, there was no *need* to have
it in Subversion 1.0. On the other hand do I feel that we can save a lot of
time spent on support and make a generally good impression if the program look
good. That is what I'm trying to go for.

As far as the changes for either the error messages or the svn_io_*
interface not going in: these were explicitly granted by Karl. Once again: Just tell
me stop. No need to get excited about and I won't take it personal. You - and
I - want to get 1.0 and a good product out the door. It seems to me we have
a common goal :-)

> > We're shooting for 1.0. Treat the trunk appropriately.
>
> We're not really at that point yet.  There are certainly a lot of
> changes which wouldn't be appropriate for late alpha, but cleanups are
> still fine.

Ok. Then we will have an explicit moment starting at which commits are not
fine anymore: the moment of branching?

Just wanting to not-be-in-the-way and help,

Erik.

Re: stabilize means STABILIZE (was: svn commit: rev 7961 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc)

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Thursday 11 December 2003 08.33, Greg Stein wrote:
> > > We're shooting for 1.0. Treat the trunk appropriately.
> >
> > We're not really at that point yet.  There are certainly a lot of
> > changes which wouldn't be appropriate for late alpha, but cleanups
> > are still fine.
>
> I disagree. :-)  We don't have to agree, and I'm just one voice, but I
> seriously think it *is* time to just stop committing unless it can be
> shown that the change is *very* necessary.

I think Greg is right here. It's many good reasons to "slow" down (and
think) for a short period. Two things that comes right to my mind is:

 *Subversion _is_ damned good already. Let's make sure that our child
  can walk, run and dance like a cat and and stay as a rock. It's more
  that enough to do when the trunk "opens" again.
 *We don't really know 100% what the end users and vendors (the svn
  guis, IDEs and so on) really needs/likes/hates before after the
  1.0 release. It will probably be some other priorities when
  Subversion has met the real life.

Jostein

--

Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> writes:
> I apologize for contributing to confusion here, but... no, we didn't.  I
> only wanted to stabilize on the trunk because I thought it would take
> six months (and even then, I wanted to branch at the end of that
> period).  We agreed to branch, because the stabilization period will be
> short, but I think we're going to do that just after 0.35, which is
> beta.  Right now we're still in alpha.

Yah, what he said.

We haven't branched for 1.0-stabilization yet.  After 0.35 is released
on Dec 17th, the story will be different... :-)

Re: stabilize means STABILIZE (was: svn commit: rev 7961 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 10:53:56AM -0500, Greg Hudson wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 04:10, Greg Stein wrote:
> > Think about it: you had to REVERT the change. What does that say? When was
> > the last time that happend? Maybe during development it happened here and
> > there, but it wasn't common. And now we're in the END GAME, and a commit
> > went in which was Not Right and had to be reverted.
>
> It has happened from time to time.  It is rarely foreseen by the person
> making the commit.

Certainly. I would doubt that anybody commits with the intent to revert :-)

> > Look: everybody agreed to staying on the trunk for the 1.0 release.
>
> I apologize for contributing to confusion here, but... no, we didn't.  I

Gah... okee dokee. I missed the resolution here. Regardless of where it
happens, the "branch point" is still an arbitrary point in time. The trunk
today has *very* little difference from the branch next week. A commit
today isn't "magically safer" because it occurred now rather than
post-branch. If we chose to branch yesterday or today, then would any
given commit suddenly morph into "oh, well that is unsafe and shouldn't
happen". A commit that is made will introduce an absolute amount of
potential for breakage. At this point in the lifetime of SVN, those
amounts should be as minimal as possible.

> only wanted to stabilize on the trunk because I thought it would take
> six months (and even then, I wanted to branch at the end of that
> period).  We agreed to branch, because the stabilization period will be
> short, but I think we're going to do that just after 0.35, which is
> beta.  Right now we're still in alpha.

Um. "we're still in alpha [so we're still free to commit]" doesn't really
work here. Our notion of alpha is awfully strict, and the simple fact is
that "beta" (for svn) is "we don't think we're going to change the code
any more", more popularly known as "1.0 release candidate".

Within those guides, the notion that an alpha can suddenly make certain
types of commits somehow "safe" isn't very supportable.

> We're still in alpha,

And I think that is an arbitrary label, and our usage doesn't really
confer the notion of "so these changes are okay".

> and none of the changes you're talking about have
> been destablizing.  (Even Julian's didn't break anything, as far as I
> know, although it certainly made the code unclean.)

Agreed. We're talking about potentials here. Each commit has a potential.
We caught this one. How about the recent change to how SSL errors are
tracked. Some basic data structures changed. Was that one safe? Sure, I
bet it was (given my cursory review of it). What about the next change?

I'm not trying to call out a problem with Julian's work or even that one
commit which needed to be reverted. To me, it seems that the notion of
"let's wrap this up and call it 1.0" just hasn't sunk in.

If all commits stop, and attention is turned towards the commits which
*have* to go in, then we'll get good eyeballs on those commits. But while
a dozen commits are occurring every day, it doesn't help the focus.

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.