Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2008/07/30 11:12:08 UTC

Re: Template in Content module

Hi,

I would like to make this https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/content/control/ListLayout more clear (and the content module at large as a
client would  like to use it in French)
So from ManagerReferenceContent.pdf p.114 I decided to change "List" to "List Own Created Layouts" but the screen has changed since
this page was written and I'm not sure it's ok since it seems there are 3 concepts mixed here :
Template
Layout
Content Data Ressource

Could someone (Al?) give me some light before I really dive in, please ?

Thanks

Jacques

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi David,

From: "David Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>

> What is it that you are trying to implement Jacques? In other words what sort of requirement do you have or feature are you trying
> to support?

The primary need is for a client. He will need to use the content component in order to provide reusable blocks modifiable by people
from his company and used in an eCommerce site. Most of the layouts are already defined. But the final client has not yet completly
finalised his choice (in term of blocks and their contents, etc.). So having the content component working is mandatory.

> Or are you just trying to clean up the Content Manager? There is a lot of stuff in the Content Manager that either doesn't work,
> or that is for an unclear purpose, and personally I'd like to see a redesign of most of it and eliminate a lot of what is there,
> possibly including the ListLayout and related pages...

The List Layout purpose is unclear. It seems to show only Templates created with the TEMPLATE_MASTER type but I did not digg depp
yet.

> In other words most stuff is not grounded in any sort of requirements or trying to enable specific user actions and that makes the
> tools kind of difficult to use, and even more difficult to try to define and fix...

I'm not able to cope with it this week but I guess that will be one of my 1st August tasks...

Thanks for your comments, I will let you know my progression as soon it will begin.

Jacques

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David E Jones wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:38:39 -0700
> Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com> wrote:
>> David E Jones wrote:
>>> BTW, I just committed a few changes and now you can see the Content
>>> Manager -> WebSite -> CMS thing for the WebStore webSiteId. There
>>> are some issues with how it displays on the ecommerce site... and a
>>> ton of messy code up there for rendering different things (the
>>> blogs and forums and stuff), but simple content display and
>>> templating and such is pretty simple and functions well.
>> I have some pretty cool forum screens deployed here. If there are no
>> objections, I can get them committed.
>
> I certainly wouldn't object. Well, no promises... ;)
>
> It really would be great to see more progress in that area.

I committed some minor changes as a start. After looking through my
local copy, I realized I organized the data slightly different than the
trunk. It will take a little more work to get the improved screens
ported over to the trunk. I'll work on it some more later.

-Adrian

Re: Template in Content module

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
David,

It's good to know that you confirm this part works pretty well (as I was expecting from my cursory tests :o). By chance I only need
simple things for now.
I will also have to come back to the geo-localisation stuff. Will let you know (working on another stuff this next couple of days)

Thanks !

Jacques

From: "David E Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Adrian Crum" <ad...@hlmksw.com>

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by David Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by David Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Adrian Crum" <ad...@hlmksw.com>
> David Jones wrote:
>> What is it that you are trying to implement Jacques? In other words what sort of requirement do you have or feature are you
>> trying to support?
>>
>> Or are you just trying to clean up the Content Manager? There is a lot of stuff in the Content Manager that either doesn't work,
>> or that is for an unclear purpose, and personally I'd like to see a redesign of most of it and eliminate a lot of what is there,
>> possibly including the ListLayout and related pages...
>
> Has anyone ever considered integrating OFBiz with an Open Source CMS? If there was a way to do it, we could eliminate a good sized
> chunk of code and the work required to maintain it.

I know only this project http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencms-ofbiz But I did not look at it at all (only lurked exchanges in
OFBiz ML http://www.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?local=y&forum=2740&query=opencms)

Jacques

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.