Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Staci Cooper <st...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/16 22:38:33 UTC

plugin-test-framework PRs

Hi all,

Several of us at IBM have been working on porting tests from mobile-spec to
the plugin-test-framework. I believe we have pull requests out for all of
the automated tests; we also have the manual tests ported and are just
wrapping up testing on ios/android, so those additional pull requests
should be out by tomorrow evening.

Can we get these reviewed soon to avoid getting out of sync with mobile
spec? Michal, if you have time to take a look that would be fantastic; we
can also get some of the IBM committers to help if needed.

Related note: I see that Michal added the new style tests to mobile-spec,
but is the plan for plugin-test-framework to be supplementary to
mobile-spec tests? It seems there would be problems keeping them in sync.
If it hasn't already been suggested, I propose removing mobile-spec tests
as the ported tests get merged in. The mobile-spec project would eventually
become a shell project with all tests run through plugin-test-framework and
installed plugins.

Thanks,
Staci Cooper

Re: plugin-test-framework PRs

Posted by purplecabbage <pu...@gmail.com>.
Staci, why not just one pull request for all these changes?

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
Done, but didn't test on wp.

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
yes, or even #?back

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 1:19 PM, Staci Cooper <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've noticed some problems I'd like to bring up.
>
> 1)
>
> https://github.com/apache/cordova-mobile-spec/blob/master/www/index.html#L44
> This line breaks on windows phone when the query property is used.

1. was a recent change.  I'm happy to revert / would love a fix if you have
easy access to test on windows phone.

> 2) My pull requests include the manual tests for contacts, device-motion,
> and geolocation on top of existing automated tests, which I did not change.
> I just tested those automated tests and they are breaking on WP; there are
> 2 tests failing in geolocation which shouldn't and 3 in contacts.
> Device-motion is more severe and is breaking the entire test suite on WP. I
> can start looking into those.

Thank you for bringing that up.  Jesse has been awesome at helping test
this stuff on windows so far, perhaps I'll ask him (and bryan/josh for BB)
to confirm before landing these PR's.

> 3) I'm not sure how to make the PRs to mobile-spec for removing tests
> without requiring them to be merged in a specific order or causing merge
> conflicts around pages like index.html. My suggestion is that we make a PR
> for each plugin which removes the test files but leaves the buttons/script
> elements in to avoid merge conflicts, and just add a warning to mobile-spec
> that some links will be broken while we go through the porting process.
> Then when everything is done we can remove the links in a final PR.

I've run into these issues before.  I usually resolve the merge conflict
locally in the merge commit.  Usually they aren't hard.  If the conflicts
are actually hairy, I'm happy to remove the finally bits in bulk as you
suggest.

> -Staci

Thanks for all the effort here!

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Staci Cooper <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Gonzalez <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hey Michal,
> [...]

> > would not like to land the new tests without removing the old tests as
> > well.
> >
> > Thanks a bunch!
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Staci Cooper <st...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Just want to bump this thread.
> > >
> > > Michal -- that all sounds great. Let me know if there's anything I can
> do
> > > to help with integration, or if the IBM committers can help with
> merging.
> > > Should we go ahead and add nested plugin.xml files to the PRs?
> > >
> > > Also, for reference: I tested all of my PRs on wp8 with a comparison
> with
> > > mobile-spec's behavior, as did Martin with his. Edna and Martin have
> also
> > > been testing on ios and android respectively.

Martin Gonzalez

Re: plugin-test-framework PRs

Posted by Staci Cooper <st...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good, I'll get started.