Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org> on 2000/11/01 12:06:22 UTC

Re: Comments on XSP 1.1 (long)

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> True, logicsheets are written by programmers, but how many programmers
> are confortable with inlining code into XSLT stylesheets? how many
> programmers like to write their own SAX filter to create code that is
> futher compiled?
>
> SLL glues markup and OO code. If you think you don't need it for Perl,
> well, no problem, but are you sure all your joe perl programmers are
> able to handle nested taglibs with no hassle?
>
> If so, well, I can't wait for Perl 6 to come out so that I can compile
> it on a JVM and use it inside my XSP :)
>
> But, for now, I believe SiLLy (despite its name) is a very clever
> approach for markup-java logic connection.

I think though that there's a better middle ground to be struck here. I
don't know what it is or where it is, but SiLLy seems too verbose at the
moment. I wish I could say more about what I think that middle ground is
or should be, but I can't - I'm really just saying that I personally
wouldn't be happy working at a company writing logic sheets using the
lingo supplied in the example. It seems to make things easier for *Cocoon*
(or AxKit or whatever), but not for the developer...

PS: Don't hold your breath for Perl6 :-)

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **
     \\//
     //\\
    //  \\

Re: Comments on XSP 1.1 (long)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Matt Sergeant wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > Let's try to come up with an example:
> >
> > 1) you are asked to write a taglib that has to be nested with a number
> > of taglibs that are not written by you.
> >
> > 2) suppose these other taglibs are written in XSLT+Java (no SLL or
> > anything), and you don't have documentation for them (like it is today)
> >
> > What do you do?
> >
> > Like many people here can guarantee, you try to see what the rest of the
> > taglibs do and try to come up with a resonable way to inline code that
> > works.... after a few hundred attempts, it does what you want and you
> > are happy.
> >
> > Then, the taglib grows and it has to be refactored.. new people work on
> > it, people that are not used to XSLT+Java, neither to your own vision of
> > "how to make a taglib". The code is refactored, rewritten, it costs more
> > to refactor it than to write a new taglib from scratch.
> >
> > Result: costs grow more than linearly and saturation happens. You can't
> > have more than N taglibs developped by your team and after a few years
> > they become black boxes... it's easy to throw them away than to see what
> > they do and how.
>
> I totally understand all the issues, Stefano. Really I do. I just think
> there's probably a better syntax out there (maybe even an XML syntax). I
> know thats probably really unfair since I haven't personally put any
> effort into SiLLy, so lets get the xsp list setup and hash out something
> simpler.

Ok, great, if only I can find a damn person that knows how to set up a
mail list around here, damn it!

In "http://dev.perl.org/~ask/als/larry-als.txt", Larry Wall said:
>> "Users care about elegance."  No, they care about getting their job
>> done.  For some reason lots of languages that come out of Europe have
>> this thing about elegance that I don't quite get.  Obviously.

Let's see how you get out of this :)

> > but he never wrote an operating system in Perl :)
>
> You've not heard of PerlOS then? Seriously, there is an OS written in
> Perl, providing most Unix features. Of course its not exactly fast - it
> was just done for fun and as a proof of concept.

does "providing most Unix features" include support for a gazillion
device drivers and all that stuff? I don't think so.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Comments on XSP 1.1 (long)

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.

Re: Comments on XSP 1.1 (long)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Matt Sergeant wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > True, logicsheets are written by programmers, but how many programmers
> > are confortable with inlining code into XSLT stylesheets? how many
> > programmers like to write their own SAX filter to create code that is
> > futher compiled?
> >
> > SLL glues markup and OO code. If you think you don't need it for Perl,
> > well, no problem, but are you sure all your joe perl programmers are
> > able to handle nested taglibs with no hassle?
> >
> > If so, well, I can't wait for Perl 6 to come out so that I can compile
> > it on a JVM and use it inside my XSP :)
> >
> > But, for now, I believe SiLLy (despite its name) is a very clever
> > approach for markup-java logic connection.
>
> I think though that there's a better middle ground to be struck here. I
> don't know what it is or where it is, but SiLLy seems too verbose at the
> moment. I wish I could say more about what I think that middle ground is
> or should be, but I can't - I'm really just saying that I personally
> wouldn't be happy working at a company writing logic sheets using the
> lingo supplied in the example. It seems to make things easier for *Cocoon*
> (or AxKit or whatever), but not for the developer...

Ok, the fact that you wouldn't like to work for a such company is a
serious concern.

elegance... but he never wrote an operating system in Perl :)

> PS: Don't hold your breath for Perl6 :-)

I know, but it's good to know integration will be easier when it comes
:)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.