Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Raimar Falke <ra...@optivo.de> on 2012/10/29 15:34:45 UTC

Offset not written back to zookeeper

Hello

We are using a modified version of kafka 0.7.1 (https://github.com/optivo-org/kafka)
and had at least one case where the consumers of the group got events but the offsets
were not written back to zookeeper. The consumers stopped updating the offsets after
a release where the consumers of the group are each individually is restarted. Here
a lot of rebalancing was taking place. After a further restart of all consumers the
events were processed a second time. No related warning or error message could be
found.

Is this a known problem? What could be the cause for this?

Tracing the code paths it seems weird, that ZookeeperConsumerConnector.commitOffsets()
does not issue a warning if no offsets were written. Is it possible that a rebalancing
was not finished and as such events were processed but without an ownership no updates
take place?

    Raimar

optivo GmbH
Wallstraße 16
10179 Berlin

Telefon: 030 / 76 80 78 163
Fax:     030 / 76 80 78 499

E-Mail:  raimar.falke@optivo.de
Website: http://www.optivo.de

Handelsregister: HRB Berlin 88738
Geschäftsführer: Peter Romianowski, Ulf Richter

Re: Offset not written back to zookeeper

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Normally, the offset commit thread won't die since we catch and log a
warning if we hit any zk exception. If this happens again, you can also use
the VerifyConsumerRebalance tool to see if rebalance has completed
successfully.

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
How is that modified version different from 0.7.1? Did you take a thread