Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Peter Thomas <pt...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/15 08:14:34 UTC

May be useful for projects deciding between JSF and Wicket

Hi,

I blogged a fairly large collection of links to discussions about the issues
with JSF in general.  What prompted me to put this up is that I yet again
failed to convince a team at work that Wicket should be chosen over JSF.
Frustrating.

Hope this proves useful to some, please pass it on to the pointy haired
bosses, architecture astronauts, powerpoint consultants etc that you know.

DZone link:
http://dzone.com/links/jsf_sucks_compendium_of_jsf_rantsreviews.html

Thanks,

Peter.

Re: May be useful for projects deciding between JSF and Wicket

Posted by Vladimir K <ko...@gmail.com>.
Where you were two years ago? :)

Posted by Vladimir K <ko...@gmail.com>.
even more ... the title sounds a bit vulgarly.

But the arrangement of such links has a value itself. Especially for people
who hasn't started a project yet.

I would sort the list by date descending. The latest articles has more value
than older.

jeroend-2 wrote:

> The title is subjective at best to start with and to open up with blog
> entries from 5 years ago is not giving it more credibility. ...
>
> regards,
> jeroen.

RE: May be useful for projects deciding between JSF and Wicket

Posted by je...@hetnet.nl.
Hmm,

Not sure if I can convince my boss (or maybe even me myself) by this blog entry. The title is subjective at best to start with and to open up with blog entries from 5 years ago is not giving it more credibility.
I have worked with jsf (myfaces and icefaces) on 2 projects and to be honest I forced it down the throat of the freelancers. In the end it worked allright (for intranet, we havent tested it for more than 10 concurrent users). We have definitely have had our share of problems. However to change architecture with a group of people used to it is a brave or even stupid action.
I have seen quite some freelancers come and go with only one thing on their agenda: pimping up their cv. It went from struts to jsf, from jdbc, ejb1/ejb2, hibernate and jpa all on Websphere (the only stable factor, giggle). Now we should refactor again to wicket or tapestry or whatever. The big thing with JSF is, it is mainstream IBM, Oracle and Sun love it and so does management (like it or not).
I do realize i'm saying this on the wicket forum, where I follow some of the discussions and I hope to take part in it at a later stage. My objective is first to play with it myself (on a hobby project at home) and see how well it will fit our needs.
What I can say at this point in favor of Wicket is the enormous enthusiastic and capable crowd supporting it.
Problems with jsf are hard to solve just by lack of support, support which is strangely enough adverted big time by the large companies.

regards,
jeroen.