Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Oliver Rettig <Ol...@orat.de> on 2020/09/15 19:28:57 UTC

Dead code detection

Hi all,

I need functionality in Netbeans to find dead code. Andy ideas about a plugin?

I have found

https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/dead-code-detection-with-netbeans-ide

but it is outdated and I can not find the source code. Maybe this plugin can help

@Geertjan have you saved this code somewhere?

In concrete we have a java library project which is a Wrapper to a c++ native lib. To create a
platform independent jar-file we want to add the native code build for several operating
systems into the the jar.

We found that the

https://jogamp.org/

project includes great code to do this but the code is part of a big project. Not the state is
that we have a copy a subset of the classes which seems to be needed into our project. But
most of this code is not needed. There are too many classes/methods we have now to check
if they are really needed. Thats why we need a tool in the Netbeans IDE to automatize this.

best regards
Oliver

Re: Dead code detection

Posted by Oliver Rettig <Ol...@orat.de>.
Hi Neil,

thanks for the hint to LWJGL. Do you know where in the repository https://github.com/LWJGL
the code for jative-jar building resides?

I think it makes sense to evaluate other possibilities for us. We are often in the situation
native-jars would be great. So we think about to create a seperate open source project with
libs and tools to do this.

best regards
Oliver

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, 20:29 Oliver Rettig, <Oliver.Rettig@orat.de[1]> wrote:

In concrete we have a java library project which is a Wrapper to a c++ native lib. To create a
platform independent jar-file we want to add the native code build for several operating
systems into the the jar.

We found that the

https://jogamp.org/[2]

project includes great code to do this but the code is part of a big project.

Partly OT - JogAmp might not be the best starting point. Pretty sure LWJGL Core will do this,
and it's much more modularized so this bit might be small enough as is. JNA also has some
code that does this IIRC.

Best wishes,

Neil

--------
[1] mailto:Oliver.Rettig@orat.de
[2] https://jogamp.org/

Re: Dead code detection

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Re: Dead code detection

Posted by Oliver Rettig <Ol...@orat.de>.
Hi Mark,

thanks for the link but this is not the code - not even an Netbeans plugin. But it is interesting
to have a look into the source code. The code can be used by an ant-task, so maybe it is
usable in the netbeans IDE.

best regards
Oliver

Re: Dead code detection