Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/02 14:14:19 UTC

JCR -> trunk ...?

i'd like to copy james-jcr into trunk and add some example
configurations. development can continue in the sandbox (or not) and
merged in later (if necessary).

any objections?

- robert

Re: JCR -> trunk ...?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
+1 jcr has some drawbacks (afaik there's still a jackrabbit hard limit
of a few thousand docs per node which is too few for a big mail
deployment) but IMHO is well worth having in trunk to allow people to
experiment. Its an area that has a lot of current interest (with the
resurgence of CRM, and all the channel blending that implies, as an IT
Big Thing) and IMHO it would be a Good Thing to make it more readily
accessable.
Whats more I think Jukka did a great job which deserves more visibility.

Re: JCR -> trunk ...?

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Am Samstag, den 02.02.2008, 21:15 +0100 schrieb Stefano Bagnara:
> Jukka Zitting ha scritto:
> >
> > You'll likely need to make some adjustments to the james-jcr build
> > setup that dates back to last summer. Let me know if you need any
> > assistance.
> >
> >> +1
> >> And I would prefer if development will continue in trunk.
> >
> > Agreed, I'd rather avoid branching the code.
> >
> > I'd be happy to continue working on the JCR component in trunk, though
> > I should point out that I was originally granted commit karma on the
> > premise that I'd work on a sandbox component. Technically I was given
> > write access to all of James, but before taking advantage of that I'd
> > like to make sure that everyone is OK with me working in trunk.
>
> +1

+1

> >> If it does not require big changes to other modules then we don't
> >> need a sandbox or a branch. If instead further development will
> >> require experimental changes to core api then a sandbox or
> >> a branch will be more appropriate.
> >
> > I can foresee some such changes (MIME4J-16 is a good example), but if
> > in any way possible I'd rather break such changes into small
> > reversible steps and explicitly handle backwards compatibility issues
> > where needed than branch any of the core APIs.
>
> +1
>
> Thank you,
> Stefano

+1
Norman

Re: JCR -> trunk ...?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Re: JCR -> trunk ...?

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Feb 2, 2008 5:42 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> > i'd like to copy james-jcr into trunk and add some example
> > configurations. development can continue in the sandbox (or not) and
> > merged in later (if necessary).

You'll likely need to make some adjustments to the james-jcr build
setup that dates back to last summer. Let me know if you need any
assistance.

> +1
> And I would prefer if development will continue in trunk.

Agreed, I'd rather avoid branching the code.

I'd be happy to continue working on the JCR component in trunk, though
I should point out that I was originally granted commit karma on the
premise that I'd work on a sandbox component. Technically I was given
write access to all of James, but before taking advantage of that I'd
like to make sure that everyone is OK with me working in trunk.

> If it does not require big changes to other modules then we don't
> need a sandbox or a branch. If instead further development will
> require experimental changes to core api then a sandbox or
> a branch will be more appropriate.

I can foresee some such changes (MIME4J-16 is a good example), but if
in any way possible I'd rather break such changes into small
reversible steps and explicitly handle backwards compatibility issues
where needed than branch any of the core APIs.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: JCR -> trunk ...?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Re: JCR -> trunk ...?

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Feb 2, 2008 2:14 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i'd like to copy james-jcr into trunk and add some example
> configurations. development can continue in the sandbox (or not) and
> merged in later (if necessary).

+1

  Bernd