Posted to user@flink.apache.org by qi luo <lu...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/09 13:05:51 UTC

YarnResourceManager unresponsive under heavy containers allocations

Hi guys,

We’re using latest version Flink YarnResourceManager, but our job startup occasionally hangs when allocating many Yarn containers (e.g. >1000). I checked the related code in YarnResourceManager as below:

It seems that it handles all allocated containers and starts TM in main thread. Thus when containers allocations are heavy, the RM thread becomes unresponsive (such as no response to TM heartbeats, see TM logs as below).

Any idea on how to better handle such case (e.g. multi-threading to handle allocated containers) would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,
Qi

————————————————————————
TM log:

2019-07-09 13:56:59,110 INFO  org.apache.flink.runtime.taskexecutor.TaskExecutor            - Connecting to ResourceManager akka.tcp://flink@xxx/user/resourcemanager(00000000000000000000000000000000).
2019-07-09 14:00:01,138 INFO  org.apache.flink.runtime.taskexecutor.TaskExecutor            - Could not resolve ResourceManager address akka.tcp://flink@xxx/user/resourcemanager, retrying in 10000 ms: Ask timed out on [ActorSelection[Anchor(akka.tcp://flink@xxx/), Path(/user/resourcemanager)]] after [182000 ms]. Sender[null] sent message of type "akka.actor.Identify"..
2019-07-09 14:01:59,137 ERROR org.apache.flink.runtime.taskexecutor.TaskExecutor            - Fatal error occurred in TaskExecutor akka.tcp://flink@xxx/user/taskmanager_0.
org.apache.flink.runtime.taskexecutor.exceptions.RegistrationTimeoutException: Could not register at the ResourceManager within the specified maximum registration duration 300000 ms. This indicates a problem with this instance. Terminating now.
	at org.apache.flink.runtime.taskexecutor.TaskExecutor.registrationTimeout(TaskExecutor.java:1023)
	at org.apache.flink.runtime.taskexecutor.TaskExecutor.lambda$startRegistrationTimeout$3(TaskExecutor.java:1009)
	at org.apache.flink.runtime.rpc.akka.AkkaRpcActor.handleRunAsync(AkkaRpcActor.java:332)
	at org.apache.flink.runtime.rpc.akka.AkkaRpcActor.handleRpcMessage(AkkaRpcActor.java:158)
	at org.apache.flink.runtime.rpc.akka.AkkaRpcActor.onReceive(AkkaRpcActor.java:142)
	at akka.actor.UntypedActor$$anonfun$receive$1.applyOrElse(UntypedActor.scala:165)
	at akka.actor.Actor$class.aroundReceive(Actor.scala:502)
	at akka.actor.UntypedActor.aroundReceive(UntypedActor.scala:95)
	at akka.actor.ActorCell.receiveMessage(ActorCell.scala:526)
	at akka.actor.ActorCell.invoke(ActorCell.scala:495)
	at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.processMailbox(Mailbox.scala:257)
	at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.run(Mailbox.scala:224)
	at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.exec(Mailbox.scala:234)
	at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinTask.doExec(ForkJoinTask.java:260)
	at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.runTask(ForkJoinPool.java:1339)
	at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(ForkJoinPool.java:1979)
	at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:107)

Re: YarnResourceManager unresponsive under heavy containers allocations

Posted by Yang Wang <da...@gmail.com>.
It is a very useful optimization in large scale development. In blink we
use a thread pool to launch container, and a flink cluster with more than
5000 Yarn containers could work well. Hope Xintong Song could contribute it
to flink soon.

Xintong Song <to...@gmail.com> 于2019年7月10日周三 下午2:20写道:

Posted by qi luo <lu...@gmail.com>.
Got it, thank you!

Posted by Xintong Song <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by qi luo <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re:Re: YarnResourceManager unresponsive under heavy containers allocations

Posted by Haibo Sun <su...@163.com>.
Hi, Qi

Sorry, by talking to Xintong Song offline, I made sure that some of what I said before is wrong. Please refer to Xintong's answer.

Best,
Haibo

At 2019-07-10 11:37:16, "Xintong Song" <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Qi,

Thanks for reporting this problem. I think you are right. Starting large amount of TMs in main thread on YARN could take relative long time, causing RM to become unresponsive. In our enterprise version Blink, we actually have a thread pool for starting TMs. I think we should contribute this feature to the community version as well. I created a JIRA ticket from which you can track the progress of this issue.

Posted by Xintong Song <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Qi,